VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

File sharing AFP Mac 10.12 to 10.15

Setting up file Sharing over SMB with 10.12 (Sierra) in VMWare Fusion, to 10.15 (Catalina) on Host, but the "Users" folder is blank (it only appears for 'Public folder" not my shared folder.

I can click "+" and add "Administrators" but the and ok, but the list remains blank, therefore i an unable to set any permissions (i wish to grant Read Only access)

I then thought of "Get info" and set "lock" on the folder  whether that would be work around.  I tested the users section in Cataliina and added share and Users area is not blank, so its either particular to 10.12 or VMWare fusion is not allowing this. All updates applied on Guest.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 4.30.17 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-20 at 4.30.31 am.png

I've set 'Bridged Connection' in VM (AFP), so i'm good to go... I'm using AFP because its a HFS+ usb drive i'm accessing.. and although i read SMB password is saved in less secure manner, i'm not taking any chances.

"Because the passwords of user accounts used for Windows sharing may be stored in a less secure manner, turn off the account when it’s not being used. Before you turn off Windows sharing, turn off all the accounts you enabled. Otherwise, the passwords are still stored less securely."

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchlp1657/mac

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies