VMware Communities
tomadimitrie
Contributor
Contributor

File not found (the .vmdk file) - even if the file is there

Hi, every time I open my Windows VM in Fusion I get the message that the vmdk file was not found. I click on "browse" and the file is there. The VM runs after I click on the file. I tried to give Fusion full disk access in system preferences, but nothing changed

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

the message may be a bit misleading. In most such cases it's one of the ...-s0xx.vmdk files which make up the virtual disk, which is missing.
In doubt, please run ls -l in the VM's folder and post the command's output.

André

0 Kudos
tomadimitrie
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached the folder's contents. The VM runs fine after I manually select the vmdk, though

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok it's the Boot  Camp VM.
I'm not a Mac user, so someone with Mac/Fusion experience - e.g. @wila - may need to help in this case.

André

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Thanks André, I hope I can help.
Haven't used Boot camp myself in a few years.

With Boot Camp the disk that you have there is a raw disk mapping to the actual disk.

In other words, it is pointing to the actual Boot Camp partition on your macOS system.
The standard troubleshooting steps for these tend to be that you delete the VM and create a new Boot Camp VM via the menu "File" -> "New" -> "Install from Boot Camp" and follow the steps.

Now have there recently been complaints about Boot Camp not working under both Catalina as well as Big Sur, so before you delete the VM... it might be better to just rename that one for now.
Seems you can at least run the Boot Camp partition still.
So rename the existing Boot Camp VM to something like "Old Broken Boot Camp" and then follow the steps to create the Boot Camp VM afresh.

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva