VMware Communities
SAC_IT
Contributor
Contributor

File not found error when installing VMware fusion on MAC os yosemite

After installing VMware Fusion on my MAC in Yosemite, an error not found message pops up and nothing happens. Cant find any options to examine the error further. Any help?

Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 4.16.46 PM.png

Tags (1)
9 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello SAC_IT,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

Can you tell us the version of VMware Fusion you are trying to run?

The reason I am asking this is that the earliest version of VMware Fusion that works on Yosemite is Fusion 6.0.5.

Older versions do not run on Yosemite.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
SAC_IT
Contributor
Contributor

This is the version I am using.

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 1.39.53 PM.png

Thank you of the help<

0 Kudos
BKC123
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Wil,

I am also encountering the same issue... I am running the same person too... I think i did not uninstall the earlier version 5.0 fusion version... Can you tell me how to uninstall and then i will try to re install 7.0 to see if it works...

Thank you.

bkc

0 Kudos
BKC123
Contributor
Contributor

Hey SAC,

i found the way to resolve this issue.

try this

click on the "Virtual machine Library" => delete the existing VM and re launch the application. It should work. It worked for me.

Hope it helps you.

-BKC

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes it might be something in a virtual machine, but suggesting to delete it is something to do with care as you might actually throw away your Virtual Machine which can be a really bad thing if it contains a lot of work.

If going down this path select "Keep" so that you can select the Virtual machine again if needed.

@SAC_IT If getting far enough to actually see the Fusion menu then please attach the support bundle that you can generate via "Help" -> "Collect Support Information"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
pruthe
Contributor
Contributor

I also ran into same "File not found" error. After about 2 hours of fooling around, I was able to correct the problem.

My Windows Vista virtual machine file is on a different external disk volume from the internal disk volume the Fusion application is on. I recently renamed the external disk volume (my bad!!! Smiley Sad). After much confusion and Googling for similar user problems, I finally looked at error logs for Fusion and I could see Fusion was still trying to connect to my original named external virtual machine volume. Once I changed name of external volume back to original name, everything is now working fine.

Really weird that if Fusion cannot find vm volume, it gives this cryptic "File not found" error and does not start up. I even tried to reinstall Fusion, but installer gave same "File not found" error and did not reinstall Fusion. Only after renaming external vm disk volume back to original name did things clear up and Fusion started up. Scary!!!

0 Kudos
chcsep
Contributor
Contributor

After much headscratching and numerous restarts/reinstalls, I finally discovered that it actually did successfully install Vmware (each time!), and that this error message is simply a result of poor installer/UI design on the part of VMware.

If you right click on the vmware icon in your dock and click "Virtual Machine Library", you can continue.

- When you double click inside the .dmg file to install VMware, it opens an installation program that has a vmware icon on the dock.

- When installation is complete, the installed Vmware application is opened using the same icon in the dock

- There is no message that appears to notify the user that the software was successfully installed (unlike, say, every other app ever)

- Somewhere, encrypted in a settings file somewhere, vmware can tell the name of the last opened virtual machine file and tries to open it (even if you delete all of the preference files on your disk that has vmware in the filename... Yosemite makes it much harder to view hidden files; it's either in a hidden file or encrypted because I can't find the name of my virtual machine with a Finder search)

- The Virtual Machine Library does not open, so the absence of any VMware window leads the user to think that the software did not successfully install

- The "File Not Found" error that appears makes no indication of what application is looking for what file. Everyone in this thread believes that the installer is looking for an installation file, when in fact it is the application looking for a virtual machine file. This is especially confusing for those of us who had removed all virtual machines and who thought we had deleted all of the preference files that would have made reference to the deleted virtual machine files.

- When you right click on the dock icon and open the Virtual Machine Library, the window opens up with the name of your old virtual machine with a "Not found" indicator.

In my case, I had migrated to a new mac, including my VMware license and my virtual machine. Not wanting to have the same vmware license and the same virtual machine on two computers, I removed them from my old mac. Knowing now how much of a headache it would have been to reinstall, I should have just kept the duplicate VMware installation and not paid for another one, saving time, money, and frustration all in one.

SMcCandlish
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone ever figured out WTF file it is, and where, that we have to remove to stop this?  I get this error every single time I start VMWare Fusion no matter what I do. It's apparently looking for a VM that has not existed for a long time now (and thus cannot be even temporarily restored).  If deleting the app and all preferences and reinstalling it won't fix the problem, then this software is just plain broken, and it's time to switch to Virtual Box or something.

0 Kudos
nzmarkc1
Contributor
Contributor

@SMcCandlish - Just had the same problem. I realised though that I had put my one VM on an external SSD via thunderbolt. When I plugged the drive in, presto - the message went away. So my ->guess<- is that there is some configuration data laying around your system that is looking for a VM folder/destination that does not exist. So either reinstate the drive or folder, or uninstall and reinstall. A quick google brought this up:

https://nektony.com/how-to/uninstall-vmware-fusion

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos