VMware Communities
tnine
Contributor
Contributor

File not found error when file exists, is owned correctly an is chmod 777

HI all,

Recently I had a power failure and my iMac rebooted with my Linux vm running. I have been unable to start it since. I've enable hourly snapshots, which I don't recommend as it appears to be the issue. Whenever I try to start my virtual machine, I receive the error "File not found: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5-000001-s001.vmdk". It then click browse, and select the file, then it prompts me with the same error and I repeat the cycle. I've made sure my user owns all the files, and I've even set the permissions to 777. I've verified the disk images with " find -name "*.vmdk" -exec vmware-vdiskmanager -R {} \;", which runs the vmware-vdiskmanager repair on every disk. Each one passes the check. If the file is there, and I can read it, why can't vmware fusion launch the vm image? This obviously isn't a file not found error, but something else. I can't find any information to fix this issue. I need this fixed quickly, and support has been useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Post vmware.log (see and ) after a poweron attempt, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5-000001.vmdk (this should be a very small, under 4KB, plaintext file), and a file listing of the virtual machine .vmwarevm package

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Todd - we'll need more information than this... Take a look at some of the threads here:

search "file not found" vmdk

Lots and lots of information and background material there...

Kevin

0 Kudos