VMware Communities
navtis
Contributor
Contributor

File not found: Windows XP Professional 2-Snapshot24.vmsn

I had a computer crash (Mac OS X Mavericks), had to reinstall my system software and lost some files. My current version, Fusion 5, wouldn't start, with the error message:

>File not found: Windows XP Professional 2-Snapshot24.vmsn

I thought an upgrade might solve it so downloaded a trial version 7. Apparently not. I don't have the file it wants.

I have deleted v7 and reinstalled v5 but neither makes any difference. I went back to a Time Machine backup for virtual machine prior to the crash, but still nothing helps. Can anyone suggest how I can get Fusion running again? Thanks in advance if you can.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

André

navtis
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks André, I didn't even know that existed, but here it is. If it helps you to help me I'll be most grateful.

Best wishes,
Nigel

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It looks like something went completely wrong!? Not only that some .vmdk files are missing (including the base virtual disk), but some snapshots point to the same .vmdk files (e.g. "Windows XP Professional 2-000004.vmdk" which has the contents of "Windows XP Professional 2-000002.vmdk"), and others like "Windows XP Professional 2-000003.vmdk" shouldn't even be there?

According to the log files the current snapshot chain looks like 000002.vmdk -> 000001.vmdk --> 000005.vmdk --> 000004.vmdk --> base .vmdk, but only the latest two snapshots are present, whereas the other 3 required .vmdk files are missing. Unless you have a backup of the 3 files in red I'm afraid there's not much we can do.

André

0 Kudos
navtis
Contributor
Contributor

Oh yes, I agree André, something went badly wrong... The question is what to do if none of this can be resurrected. I've tried reinstalling Fusion 5, having thrown away the app I had and I could reinstall Windows too (although that doesn't seem to be the problem anyway).

I can live with a back-to-the-beginning scenario, but don't seem to be able to get to the situation of installing it as if it had never been there. Short of reformatting my hard drive (which isn't going to happen), I'm at a loss. Anyway thanks for trying.

😞
Nigel

0 Kudos