VMware Communities
systame
Contributor
Contributor

File issues with Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8, Fusion 4.1.1 on Lion

I have Fusion 4.1.1 installed on Lion client. I installed OS 10.6.8 Server ok.

But, am having issues with sharing, and copying files from shared volumes.

1. VIEW NOT REFRESHING

After moving files around on a share, the view is not refreshing within the SL VM. I have to restart the VM to get it to display properly.

2. ROSETTA APPS SHOW AS FOLDERS, NOT FILES

I copied some rosetta apps (Quicken, MYOB) to the VM. Some of them show up as folders instead of apps, so I can't open them. I guess the package got separated? ALso, some data files for the apps cannot be seen/opened by the App (Quicken won't see a Quicken data file).

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

How did you copy them?  The safest way is to zip them up first.

0 Kudos
systame
Contributor
Contributor

How did you copy them?  The safest way is to zip them up first.

Tried zipping, then unzip into VM drive. Seemed to work, as I was able to run the program, but when I try to associate it's data file in the finder, using the 'Open with...' setting, it showed up as a folder again instead of an app.

But, I discovered a way to make it work.

Using Disk Utility, I used the 'New Image from folder' command to create image files of the apps (within folders). Then moved the .dmg files to the VM drive, mounted them, and copied the app to the drive. They run fine.

So far, so good.

But...apps still couldn't see their data files. Or if they do seem them, refused to open them.

Note that the data files exist in the host file system, not on the VM drive -- and that's the way I need it.

So, created image files again of the data files (within folders), copied the .dmg to the VM drive, mounted it, then copied the data file back to the host system share where it was in the first place. And now, the apps can see them. Whew! Lotta work.

I'm assuming there's some issue the VMWare tools for lion that's causing this.

Also, the mounted host shares never refresh. Discovered I can force a refresh by logging out and back in again.

The whole point of this exercise is that I'd rather spend $50 on Fusion 4 to run the rosetta apps I need, than spend 100s or 1000s to upgrade them all to run in Lion.

0 Kudos