VMware Communities
Guddler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

First up, good job on the public beta. I've been holding off of purchasing Parallels since getting my Intel iMac back in February and patiently waiting for VMWare since it's what i use at work and is by far my preferred product! So far I've copied over my Vista Ultimate VM (msdn license) from the work laptop and aside from the Mac's refusal to see the directory on my USB drive, once I'd copied it over it's running like a charm. Even with the extra debug logging going on it's working at a perfectly useable speed. It's been a much longer wait than i would have liked but it seems to be well worth it - nice one!

Anyway, enough with the brown nosing 🐵

First a bit of feedback on the hardware revisions section of the help file. The instructions for upgrading the virtual hardware tell you to "Open the virtual machine and power it off, using the Power Off button in the toolbar, or the Power Off command in the Virtual Machine menu." This works fine, BUT, that does mean that you are uncleanly dismounting your virtual drives and devices and thus next time windows starts (or linux i dare say!) you're going to get the usual unclean disk shutdown type errors and the like. Should you not be telling people to close down the OS? I don't know if the settings to automatically power up the virtual machine when opened or automatically close the virtual machine when shut down are there yet, but they need to be in order to do this properly i would have thought!

Anyway, regardless the hardware update went fine despite the unclean shutdown.

Now, could someone please elaborate on the hardware revisions shown in the help file please? The help file states that unless the hardware is upgraded to revision 6 then not all the hardware fuctionality will be available within Fusion, but without knowing what we will be missing, it's difficult to make an informed judgement on whether to upgrade the virtual hardware or not. Obviously once it's been upgraded you can't then use the VM with VM Server (something i overlooked - oops! never mind, this is beta and i'm just testing. For now.)

So, what Fusion functionality do we miss at hardware revisions 3, 4 and 5 please?

Thanks and again, good work.

Martin.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

One of the big advantages of the latest hardware revisision is USB 2.0 support. As the revisions get further back in the legacy you lose features such as virtual SMP (multiple virtual processors). Basically if you go back to the release notes of Workstation 4.5, 5.0 and 5.5 you can see what's new in each revision.

HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for your feedback. For more detail on virtual hardware versions, keep in mind that Fusion uses the same virtual hardware as Workstation 6 (currently in beta), so you might want to refer to the WS 6 manual, in particular the section about VM mobility and compatibility in the New Virtual Machine wizard.

0 Kudos