VMware Communities
aanhorn
Contributor
Contributor

Feature Poll - Your wishlist for Beta 5

My wishlist -

OpenGL support[/b] (even an older version? 1.5? we'll take it!) Smiley Happy

Unity support for Vista

Easier way to access Start Menu in Unity (perhaps by right clicking Fusion in the dock)

More Unity polish in general, minimize window redraw issues, set dock and menu bar as "no go" zones for Windows apps

Some sort of workaround or pref to enable OS X hotkeys in fullscreen/focused VMs

Fusion automatically remounts the Boot Camp partition after shutting down the VM running off it (Fusion currently unmounts the partition on startup, and forces the user to manually remount it in disk utility after the session)

\-----

What's on your wishlist?

0 Kudos
141 Replies
StockTrader
Contributor
Contributor

Nice application!! I tried it today.

Should be fantastic the ability to support as GUEST: MAC OSX 10

This will be fantastic for me that I use VMWARE products for case duplications!

Regards,

Marco S. Zuppone

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor

StockTrader: that's illegal, it won't happen. Apple's EULA strictly forbids it, specifically it says only Apple labeled, and virtual machines are not Apple machines in any way. Virtual machines typically feature generic chipsets, a non-physical file-backed hard disk, emulated video, and thus are not Apple machines. Please do not dispute this, it's been gone over on every corner of the internet many times. Apple's business model would collapse like it did in the 90's if they allowed it.

0 Kudos
StockTrader
Contributor
Contributor

This is extremely sad Smiley Sad

>Apple's business model would collapse like it did in the 90's if they >allowed it.

Uhmm....not so bad indeed Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Marco S. Zuppone

0 Kudos
Linh_My
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To speculate a lot, OSX 10.4.3 and earlier did not require Apple Hardware to run and are the basis for the various "Hackintosh Computers" out there (suspicious minds wonder if Apple may have had a hand in this). After OSX 10.5 is out there and firmly established say OSX 10.5.4 or so it would be trivial for Apple to release an official VM based on OSX 10.4.x and sell it for say $100.00. This should generate some profit, not hurt hardware sales (perhaps even help), give MS users a good sample, encourage wider spread OSX use, and help Mac users and developers.

I have NO!!!!! inside information and am merely wildly speculating.

0 Kudos
jsedmo
Contributor
Contributor

I hadn't seen this suggested/requested yet (unless I missed it):

\-- Mac version of VMWare Converter (to convert VPC VMs)

0 Kudos
SMB1
Expert
Expert

Why would you need this? You can run converter right in the VPC session.

0 Kudos
anarkhos
Contributor
Contributor

1) Use fewer resources when idle. Perhaps configure XP so it uses less memory and CPU? My disk thrashes a lot when I'm using firefox and vmware. I have a gig of RAM.

2) Better disk tools. Converting disks from ide to buslogic was a pain, and I don't see any way to convert from other formats or reclaim unused space.

3) People have mentioned drag+drop and the ability to associate filename extensions to win apps, but what about being able to drag a file to the VMware Fusion icon to have windows open it with its own logic?

4) Classic in OS X would give each app its own frame buffer/gworld which improved not only clipping, but would also help VM paging when bringing a small win app to the foreground. The current Unity solution seems to use one frame buffer which causes clipping isses, and all win apps have to be active in the redrawing process. Can't Unity do something similar to Classic (and, I believe, apple's X11 implementation)?

(low priority) In "Unity" mode, the dock could be at the top so the tray would have popup menus drop down. Then the tray could fit in the menu bar (or floating window) when vmware was in the foreground.

0 Kudos
awib
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to be able to access other computers and network drives on my network through my wireless connection on my Macbook Pro in the VM. That's really the only thing I'm missing right now in VMWF. Aside from that VMWF beats Parallels hands down.

0 Kudos
jgold
Contributor
Contributor

I'll throw in my vote for the Mac hot keys. I use Parallels because VMWare wasn't available and got used to the hot key feature. Now VMWare feels less advanced because it doesn't have it.

I'd like some way to send the PC specific keys. This is a real problem for me. When I try doing development in a Windows virtual machine and have no way to send a break key, it really screws things up. The same with the print screen key. I know you can do it in the Mac but I still use Outlook in the Windows VM and sometimes need to send a quick screen shot. Instead of just printscreen and paste, I have to go to the mac side, save the screen image, go to my shared directory and load it into my email. I real pita.

Firewire. I've got a firewire disk and would like to be able to use it in the VM.

Coherence. Please don't take this feature from Parallels. I hate it! If you do add it, make sure you can turn it off. Some people seem to want to make both OS's seemless. I don't. When I'm working on the Mac side, I want it to work like a Mac. If I'm in a Windows VM, I just want Windows. I don't want all my Windows applications cluttering up the dock. The most frustrating thing about Parallels is that I can't turn this %$#^ feature off.

Keep the VM's compatible between Windows and Mac hosts. I need to be able to move them back and forth. When I built my first Virtual machine on the Mac side and tried to move it over to a VMWare Server box, I got an error message saying that the virtual machine was created on a newer version of VMware so it wouldn't run. Don't do that! You've got a standard VM format. Use it. I have been able to move VMs back and forth if they were created on the Windows side. That means that I have no use for a VM created on my Mac.

That's about it for me. I do appreciate all the work you've put into VMware. I'm probably different from most Mac user because I'm primarily a Windows guy. I purchased the Mac because I wanted to learn more about it. It's got lots of nice features but I can't really use them because I don't want to get married to Ms Mac. This is just a dalliance on the side. I really want to marry Linux but but I've got to divorce that b$$ch Windows first and that's not an easy relationship to get untangled from.

Message was edited by:

jgold

0 Kudos
vinayv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'll throw in my vote for the Mac hot keys. I use

Parallels because VMWare wasn't available and got

used to the hot key feature. Now VMWare feels less

advanced because it doesn't have it.

As Pat has said in a number of other threads, we are listening.

I'd like some way to send the PC specific keys. This

is a real problem for me. When I try doing

development in a Windows virtual machine and have no

way to send a break key, it really screws things up.

The same with the print screen key. I know you can

do it in the Mac but I still use Outlook in the

Windows VM and sometimes need to send a quick screen

shot. Instead of just printscreen and paste, I have

to go to the mac side, save the screen image, go to

my shared directory and load it into my email. I

real pita.

Pressing print screen when I'm in full screen/single window mode seems to work just fine for VM. Could you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do?

Coherence. Please don't take this feature from

Parallels. I hate it! If you do add it, make sure

you can turn it off. Some people seem to want to

make both OS's seemless. I don't. When I'm working

on the Mac side, I want it to work like a Mac. If

I'm in a Windows VM, I just want Windows. I don't

want all my Windows applications cluttering up the

dock. The most frustrating thing about Parallels is

that I can't turn this %$#^ feature off.

VMware Fusion has a feature called Unity. If you do not want the feature, you do not need to use it. But as you say, other people do want it.

Keep the VM's compatible between Windows and Mac

hosts. I need to be able to move them back and

forth. When I built my first Virtual machine on the

Mac side and tried to move it over to a VMWare Server

box, I got an error message saying that the virtual

machine was created on a newer version of VMware so

it wouldn't run. Don't do that! You've got a

standard VM format. Use it. I have been able to move

VMs back and forth if they were created on the

Windows side. That means that I have no use for a VM

created on my Mac.

The VM files are in fact compatible between the different products. With Fusion and Workstation 6, the hardware versions were versioned up because newer features were added to the hardware (USB 2.0 support, for example). Server does not yet support these newer hardware features. It should however just run the vm and ignore the other settings, but someone with better knowledge of that should speak.

That said, the VMs should be interchangable between other VMware products. Certainly if you bring in a VM from Server it should work with Fusion.

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by:

vinayv

0 Kudos
Davco
Contributor
Contributor

Unison is great for occasional use (and technically, a very neat accomplishment), but I've usually found that there are too many inherent differences in the way things work for it to be useful in a big way. So I usually prefer to work either in a fully Windows environment, or a fully Mac environment. In the Windows environment, I want it to be full screen. Fusion does this, but occasionally pops back to a window, which means Windows sees the screen resize, and some applications don't behave well when this happens (particularly when it bounces from 1920x1200 to 640x480).

Therefore, my request is simply for a "sticky" full screen mode. That is, where it NEVER goes back to a window unless I ask it to. I'm happy with either a hotkey to escape from full screen, or the current "move the cursor to the top of the screen to activate the menu" method.

Oh, and I have another screen for my MacBook Pro, so some way of moving it from one screen to another would be nice (since when it's full screen, I cannot drag it).

When I'm not using full screen IDE environments, I'll probably be happy using Unison to just run something like Quicken from time to time.

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe you don't understand their current business model. They are a hardware company, always have been. They make 33% income on each machine, which equates to far more than 100 dollars. It costs them $500 per copy to develop Mac OS X, and it would be impossible for them to keep quality control over the system. Since they haven't gone outside the scope of their own hardware with their OS, and the last time they did this was with a different architecture, the whole Mac experience will be lost.

Mac OS X may be based on BSD and have 4000 engineers, but it does not compare with the amount of people needed for Microsoft to keep their OS running. Even with UNIX behind it, at 30% marketshare, the bugs would be worse than Windows, unless they hired 10000 more engineers and developed an even better quality control scheme. It is simply not worth it for them to do this.

I heard the opposite about Leopard. I heard it'd be harder, as they would be removing ACPI portions related to BIOS. Apple is pushing 14% notebook marketshare and 11% overall, they are not hurting. Jobs also said on the D5 All Things Digital that he has no intention on holding the majority of the market. If it happens it happens, but there's no way Apple compares to Microsoft as far as the ability goes to keep a system afloat. Yes, Windows is pretty terrible, but it works for at least 75% of the 90% marketshare, so obviously they have some knowledge on engineering. Apple on the other hand was plagued with problems on their own hardware with the original MacBook Pros, and I seriously doubt that in less than 5 years from now you'll see retail copies of their system. Their operating system is not their ace card, it may lure people, but their strategy is still hardware. Their hardware bugs have most been explunged now with their third revision MacBook Pros and second generation MacBook, but software is another challenge, probably greater because of the complexity.

They'd have to be developing the virtualization solution may it be with an exclusive deal with Parallels or VMware, but the licensing fees would have to recoop the costs. Trust me, it costs them a lot more to implement what they do under the covers than it does with Windows. Microsoft has been piggybacking on the same code for over a decade with millions of customers, so their R&D is clearly a lot less. Apple is the first to innovate, since the late 70's through the 80's they were the ones who brought a simple design metaphor and built something that a consumer could somewhat use. They licensed rights from PARC, and Microsoft just took it from Jobs without himself paying a license to PARC, but it wasn't until Windows 3.1 before they took over the market. Windows clearly does not innovate much if you've used their products over the last 15 years. I've used every revision since 2.03, and they clearly only do enough to hush a few people from complaining. Apple is no longer overpriced with their hardware if you are going for a medium-class notebook or a high-class workstation, so it's best just to buy from them, and reap the benefit of quality integration and solid hardware.

Hackintosh is illegal. 10.4.3 was on hardware Apple made from various vendors with TPM chips, and developers were under NDA. It leaked, and the TPM kernel extensions were hacked out, and ever since people have been grafting each OS update onto it. There are even some people risky enough to directly hack retail copies of 10.4.6 and backport changes after first removing the DoNotStealMacOS kernel extension. I've seen someone run this, and it's a bad experience, it's a lot worse than just running Windows. Slow, buggy, not supported form the vendor, only accelerated if you have GMA because the EFI device drivers for NVIDIA and ATI cards are clearly not easy to fudge, no matter how much gdb experience you have.

Sorry for this long post, but seriously, unless Apple itself announces this, and claims otherwise to the above, you shouldn't even bring it up. It's sickening to run Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware, I know what you might think. Virtualization would be nice, but I don't see a reason to run it in a VM. Mac OS X hasn't caught on in the corporate world that much, so demonstrating AD authentication for instance doesn't really matter. What can you honestly need out of it under a VM? It's an intense graphical operating system, far more video hungry than anything up to Windows XP, I don't see what makes it useful under a VM, unless you want to run Mac OS X server, which is pretty horrid even on their own servers after a few months. It requires horsepower I doubt any of your VM's will deliver, if you intend to use it in production that is. Clearly you haven't educated yourself about their business model. Directly competing with Microsoft now would completely clobber their company. Allowing virtualization is an almost direct competition with Microsoft, on their most profitable front, servers. Microsoft makes most their money on client access licenses, then clients themselves on the side.

Davco, I believe you meant "Unity" mode. I understand what you're saying, and I think that the fullscreen should run like it does under workstation if you want it to. It should be free from odd glitches and resize problems. Their current way of implementing it was to change the resolution of the host and sort of focus on the guest at its resolution.

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

Just my two bits:

Snapshot trees like Workstation is the only thing that's a sore point for me.

I would say to either (1) put it in Fusion or (2) make d*** well sure Workstation for OS X is coming out soon.

The other Workstation features I can wait for, running on Linux. The ONLY reason for me to use BootCamp is to run Workstation on XP for the multiple snapshot feature.

"Would be nice:" I like the flashing disk icons in the lower right corner when there's disk access. OK, so I'm an old-school blinking lights guy.

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

Just for the record...

I'd like a way to swap the control / command (apple) keys in windowed (not Unity) mode. Unity does this, so I'm assuming that it's something that can be done for windowed mode without huge contortions. (?) And, of course, an option in preferences to swap the keys or not.

That way Command-S is always "save" regardless of the OS. Windows thinks I want Windows-. Smiley Happy

Message was edited by:

blackpuma

0 Kudos
jgspda
Contributor
Contributor

Being a software developer, the absolute only thing I would want a VM session of OSX for would be for QA purposes (the ability to quickly set up multiple environments on the same machine). But there's other means for creating isolated environments (and better, more real-world ones). Such as designating a QA machine, and imaging software.

Other than that, I'd personally have no use for a virtual session of Mac. But perhaps others do (maybe a few, maybe a lot...I don't know). If I wanted a VM version of a "Windows alternative", I'd probably mess around with Ubuntu.

What I'd really like to see is what Parallels seems to be avoiding: A stable product with minimal exceptions (crashing, memory leaks, etc.). Particularly with the Bootcamp-VM shared partition. Both companies have the sharing functionality (for XP anyways), but the reason I ditched Parallels for VMWare was for stability reasons. After Parallels put in the flashy "Coherence" functionality (post build/version 1970), the problems began.

I'd really like to see if they can cook up a workaround to the Vista activation issue (I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice).

Parallels became a victim of "project creep" (by choice), and the end result (v2.5) was pretty bad, with v3.0 even worse. I hope VMWare simply fixes the current bugs, and keeps the stable functionality stable before messing too much more with the other stuff.

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor

The stability has sucked since 2.5. I bought into 3.0 and soon after got Fusion. I still run Parallels as I still think it handles Boot Camp better, but other than that, for disk based VM's I am using Fusion only. Well, aside from FreeBSD which has an obvious idle bug with Fusion.

0 Kudos
jgold
Contributor
Contributor

>Pressing print screen when I'm in full screen/single window mode seems to work just fine for VM. Could you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do?

I'm sure it does. The problem is the MacBook Pro doesn't have those keys and there's no corresponding keyboard equivalent.

>VMware Fusion has a feature called Unity. If you do not want the feature, you do not need to use it. But as you say, other people do want it.

I saw people talking about Unity in this thread. It sounded kind of like what Parallels was doing with Coherence. It's actually one of the things that scared me. I don't what Fusion mucked up with a Coherence like feature. I don't mind it as long as I can turn it off.

>The VMs should be interchangable between other VMware products. Certainly if you bring in a VM from Server it should work with Fusion.

It does work to move it back from a VMWare server machine. And like you said, what I would expect would be for the program to ignore features it doesn't support if you move it from Fusion to Server. That's not what it does however. It just refuses to work.

>Hope this helps.

Feedback always helps - Thanks.

0 Kudos
brewster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since this topic is now 6 pages, I am not sure if this has been mentioned but it would be nice to have open Windows Apps show up in the OS X dock like in Parallels maybe even with a little sub-icon to indicate it's a Windows app that is open.

0 Kudos
obeghain
Contributor
Contributor

All,

As feature, I would like to see a QuickLook Apple plugin for Fusion that would allow me to incorporate a running VMWare session within an iChat video conference. So that when I have Leopard, I then can \_not only present information to customers with Keynote_ but also demo some applications.

Is this part of future VMWare plans?

Do you think it would be useful?

Regards,

Olivier

0 Kudos
mattssi
Contributor
Contributor

I would def like a PRINTSCREEN hotkey so I can use this functionality in a XP VM. Like someone posted above, F13 is not an option on the macbp.

0 Kudos