VMware Communities
nickjhowe
Contributor
Contributor

False key repeats in fusion 5.0.3

The release notes for 5.0.2 include

• Fixed key repeat behavior (typematic) on certain versions of Mac OS X (Mountain Lion).

I'm on 5.0.3 and frequently get phantom repeat key presses.  Often I get a pop up that says "do you want to turn sticky keys on" because the shift key is being repeatedly pressed, even though I'm not touching the keyboard.  Occasionally I'll get  repeeeeeeeeeated key press (that was simulated) even though I'm not holding the key down.

This only happens in Fusion, not in native Mac apps.

Any suggestions?

Fusion 5.0.3 running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on OSX 10.8.4

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem. It's driving me crazy and causing problems as I intend to select an item in list with a single click. Instead I get an inadvertent double click and an unintended action on that list item which can cause problems.

This needs to be fixed ASAP, especially given that it was supposed to be fixed in 5.0.3 and wasn't. I'm using OS 10.8.4

0 Kudos
AbortRetryFail
Contributor
Contributor

I thought that I was the only one experiencing this!  Nice to know I'm not losing my mind.

I'm running with OS X 10.8.4, WinXP, Fusion 5.0.3, and VMware for Tools 9.2.2 build 893683.

This usually happens when I'm in fullscreen mode.  I use a Bluetooth Apple keyboard and Magic Trackpad.

0 Kudos
changhai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello, all,

Thanks a lot for your reporting.

Could this issue might be fixed through adjusting key press repeat speed on guest from control panel > keyboard referring to the link below?

Change keyboard settings

If it is not helpful, could you let me know the detailed steps to reproduce this issue?

Thanks you again!

Best Regards,

changhai

0 Kudos
AbortRetryFail
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Changhai,

I've been using Fusion + WinXP since V 1.0. I always set the WinXP Repeat delay to the shortest possible setting, and the Repeat rate to the fastest possible.  This the first time that I've experienced this issue.

This is very difficult to reproduce:

1. Set WinXP Repeat delay to the shortest possible setting, and the Repeat rate to the fastest possible.

2. Go about your day, entering text in whatever -- Outlook, etc. 

At some random point, separated by days or weeks, the cursor will start repeating a random keystroke.  Sometimes it's a space, sometimes it's a CR/LF. 

Sometimes it will start repeating a space even if you're just staring at the screen, not typing.  This is a particularly eerie experience, by the way. 

This will continue until you hit any key to interrupt the process.

Thanks for your suggestion.  I've pulled back the delay by 1 click, and pulled back the repeat reate by two clicks.  If it happens again, I'll update this thread.

Steven

0 Kudos