VMware Communities
Curiosity_blue
Contributor
Contributor

Failure to install VMware Tools in Linux (Ubuntu Gutsy)

I can get the installation ISO to mount but I can't open the archives (either one - the tar or the rpm). I've followed the cookbook in the help files to make sure I have my syntax right and have done some checking around in other forums. I'm running 7.10 on a MBP with OSX 10.4.10. I checked my VMware build numbers and even tried a wildcard to make sure I was indicating the correct archive in each case, but I get "No such file or directory." I'm having issues with a dodgy pointer and weird graphics refreshes so I thought the Tools would help clear that up. Anyone else have this problem and solve it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you sure you're accessing the Tools ISO and not the Gutsy ISO?

See my post at the end of this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/108054?tstart=30

jimsold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to get the tools to install by following the instructions found here: .

But I am sad to say that the visual glitches and dodgy pointer still occur after updating.

Jim

Curiosity_blue
Contributor
Contributor

OK. I didn't run the Install VMware Tools this time. I mounted the image manually from the little CD at the bottom of Fusion. I then hunted for the .gz archive. The image didn't mount where I expected. I ran the install, then fooled around with the Fusion settings to fix the mounting problem. I needed to specify my physical drive. I'm new to Fusion so that explains why I was having the issue, I wasn't finding the proper mount point. Thanks to all. Unfortunately I still have a dodgy pointer, but it's gone from maddening to merely annoying.

0 Kudos