VMware Communities
ChuckN1
Contributor
Contributor

Failed upgrade of VMware running on an iMac

I operate VM software on a five-year-old iMac to run Quickbooks with Windows 10. It has worked well for years, but I lagged many months behind in updating to a new version of Fusion.

Two nights ago, I upgraded to Big Sur. Many messages popped up for missing modules or links. Thinking I could buy and load a new version of Fusion, I (believe) inadvertently choose a free version (is that possible?). It will not run. A message appears saying the software is incompatible with this operating system. Which OS: Windows 10 or Big Sur? I am unable to tell you what version I was running as I have no visibility to that. My goal is to get something operational so I can regain access to the Quickbooks data with years of history.

Tech support (phone) tells me I no longer have support and has provided no help.

Can anyone tell me how to proceed from here?

1. Can I attempt to download yet another version? Which are compatible with Big Sur / Windows 10? Any other advice concerning this approach?

2. Is there a one-time support alternative (none was offered on the call) from VM or elsewhere?

3. How might I find an expert to come to my location and get me back on the road?

4. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I am not the sharpest technical tool in the chest.

ChuckN1

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 12 is compatible with Big Sur, and has a free player version.  Did you get it direct from vmware.com?

0 Kudos