VMware Communities
Delphine
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to power on virtual machine

I just bought WMWare Fusion 12 and Windows 10 (ISO file). I created the virtual machine according to instructions and it won't power on. I get the error message "Failed to power on 'XXX.vmx'.

I don't understand, since the machine is new and hasn't booted successfully even once. I'm running it on MacOS Big Sur 11.3.1 on a MacBook Air.

Disclaimer: I'm not an advanced user. But that also means I didn't do anything special.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

On an M1 processor by any chance?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Delphine
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, an Apple M1 chip. I'm guessing there's a known issue with this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There currently is no support for VMware Fusion on apple hardware with a M1 (Apple Silicon) processor, but it has been disclosed that VMware is working on it and that they expect a release somewhere this year. VMware does normally not release time lines on upcoming features (and please note that I do not work for VMware) due to it being a publicly traded company.

Also note that once will be able to run virtual machines on your M1 mac, it will still not run virtual machines that require an intel or amd processor.

As it is, it is unlikely that you will be able to run existing virtual machines on your M1 once support for Apple Silicon arrives.

Here is another thread on the subject with some more details and discussion:

VMware Fusion 12 running on Apple Silicon

and VMware Fusion on Apple Silicon progress update

Moderator note: I moved your post to the VMware Fusion discussions area

EDIT October 3, 2021 as this topic keeps getting bumped.
The Apple Silicon (M1) version of VMware Fusion is now available here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/ct-p/3022

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Delphine
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I need the virtual machine now so I will explore other options.

0 Kudos
Prachi13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Delphine, did you find any other option? Please do let me know if you've found any. Because even I'm stuck at the same.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There are no other options.  There is no practical way to run any x86 operating system on an M1 chip.  Some folks are trying to hack around using QEMU or other emulators, but with very mixed results (and often failures).

It's like trying to run unleaded gasoline in a tesla.  Well, maybe not that bad, but at least like trying to run diesel in a gas engine.

0 Kudos
Prachi13
Contributor
Contributor

ok, that's really sad! What about Parallels? Is that reliable? 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No, there is NO way to run an x86 operating system on an M1 chip in anything remotely reliable.

These are virtualization products not emulation products.  That means that they only expose the actual CPU to the guest.  If you have a need to run Intel based operating systems, then you can't use an M1 machine.  And that's not likely to ever change.

Makban
Contributor
Contributor

When I searched how to virtaully install and use Kali linux. I found some videos and there was unique solution, which is "parallels". But the paralles is not much well as fusion on virtualbox

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Parallels will not allow you to install x86 Kali Linux either.  It simply can't be done on an M1 machine.  Period.

0 Kudos