VMware Communities
mateomejia
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to open kernel extension "com.vmware.kext.vmci": No such file or directory

Hello!

I have macOS High Sierra ver 10.13.6 and use VmWare Fusion Version 8.5.10 since 2014. In the last month, I can't use VMWare because for this error :

Failed to open kernel extension "com.vmware.kext.vmci": No such file or directory

Please make sure that the kernel extension is loaded.

Module 'DevicePowerOn' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Help me with this. Thanks.!

6 Replies
MartinSTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstall VMware Fusion and then go to the Security and Privacy tab of the System Preferences. You'll see that VMware Fusion is requesting access to part of your system which you need to authorise. Click the button and it should work.

MST

0 Kudos
ClaudineV
Contributor
Contributor

You don't answer the question.

I have the same issue.

My VM worked since 2016 without any problem.

So, what can we do ? I can't reinstall it. I don't know how to do.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Fusion 8.5 does not support either macOS High Sierra or macOS Mojave.

Once it stops working and complains about a missing kernel extension then I'm afraid that the only resolution is to upgrade to VMware Fusion 11.

When you install Fusion 11 you do get the popup about the kernel extension blockage that you are replied to.

Reinstalling Fusion 8.5 does not work as it is not aware about the kernel extension blocking logic that was added in later macOS versions.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
vmwarehouse12
Contributor
Contributor

The user saying Fustion 8.5 doesn't work with with High Sierra is incorrect. Fusion 8.5 does work with High Sierra as I'm using it right now. The first poster is mostly correct on how to fix this solution and it takes only a minute. Do the following to make this work.

1. Load up your virtual machine

2. Wait until you get the error Failed to open kernel extension "com.vmware.kext.vmci": No such file or directory

3. Open System Preferences

4. Go to Security & Privacy

5. At the bottom it will say VMware is trying to access and being restricted (I can't remember the exact wording)

6. Click Allow

7. Go back to VMware and load your virtual machine

* No need to reinstall at all.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 8.5, as Wila noted is not supported on High Sierra.  While you may be lucky and get it to work, there's no guarantee that it will.  More importantly, there are no security patches for legacy versions, so you're at risk of compromise.

0 Kudos
npolanco
Contributor
Contributor

Very good. It works.

0 Kudos