VMware Communities
kkcheung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to install 10.13 High Sierra VM on Sierra host with Fusion 11

I have Fusion 11 installed on my Sierra MBP and need to install a High Sierra (10.13) VM for software testing purpose. I downloaded the full 5.2 GB High Sierra installer app and use it for the new VM installation. About half way through the installation process in the VM, it error-ed out with the message:

"macOS could not be installed on your computer

An error occurred installing macOS. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, press the power button, and immediately hold the 'D' key until diagnostics begins.

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

And the only option is to restart the VM.

Any idea what went wrong? I do have success in creating both a Sierra VM and a Mojave VM on the same system so I am not sure what gives.

Thanks.

K

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kkcheung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up having the sys admin locate another full download and it is now working! So the problem is indeed due to a corrupted download.

Thanks Wil for your help.

K

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Most likely? That there was a problem with the download.

There's a number of reports here in the forum where strange errors during install are resolved by downloading the installer again.

So I would suggest to download the installer one more time and see if you get the same problem.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
kkcheung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Downloaded the full .app installer from my admin and the problem still persists. I do have a chance to take a quick look at the error log and it seems to error out at the following:

macOS Installer [546.44992] NSSoftLinking - The Quartz framework's library couldn't be loaded from /System/Library/Framework/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Quartz.

Any idea what this means? I did a quick google search and it seems like there are some related discussions but mostly has to do with hackintosh installation and not VM installation...

0 Kudos
kkcheung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up having the sys admin locate another full download and it is now working! So the problem is indeed due to a corrupted download.

Thanks Wil for your help.

K

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Cool, glad to hear you got it sorted out and thanks for reporting back as I was about to locate hardware running Sierra and try for myself.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
illimay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried downloading another full recover mode version of the mac os and copying the file path to the makeinstall.bat, but I'm having the same problem.

2 minutes left of install, it restarts...

what did you mean by having the 'sys admin locate another full download' ?

did you mean from the gibmacos?

0 Kudos