VMware Communities
msschmitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failed to Power On but actually it is still running

I have a recurring problem with VMware Fusion 11.5.7 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6, with a Windows 10 guest. The host machine is an iMac with 4.2 GHz Intel Core i17, 16 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB.

The typical sequence is:

1. VMware application is not responding: spinning busy-wait cursor, nothing is being logged.
  2. After a while, the guest screen changes to the "powered off" view (all black, white triangle in a circle). Still no messages are being logged. However, vmwhare-vmx is still taking CPU time.
  3. If I try clicking the power-on button, I get: "Failed to power on 'path to vmx'".
  4. If I quit VMWare Fusion, vmware-vmx is still taking cpu time, and if I wait awhile...
  5. Reopen VMware Fusion, it starts and opens the guest Window with the guest fully functional and working. There will not be any other issues for the remainder of the session.

There is about an 80% chance that this problem will occur when I resume the guest from suspension, i.e. it will resume, the guest window will appear, but then Fusion stops responding.  Sometimes it will be responsive for a few minutes after resuming but then the problem occurs. The other 20% of the time there is no problem with resuming the guest.

I've long had suspicions that this is related to the current usage of the graphics memory, which in Mojave is usually quite high (~90%).

Is this a known issue?

0 Kudos
0 Replies