VMware Communities
paulcurtis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to Lock file, can't get VM back

My MacBook was in for a logic board swap, after this one of my VMs won't open

Cannot open the disk '/Users/Paul/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module Disk power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Now i can't find a Virtual Machines.localized directory for starters. I've restored the VM from time machine and opened that and it asks whether i copied or moved it, so i select copy but still no go

How can i fix this?

thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From a quick look at the files it seems that all required files are present and have proper entries/sizes. Please try to delete all the .lck files and folders in the VM's folder/package to see whether this solves the issue.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
paulcurtis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

File enclosed. There are two VMs, the XP is the one not working but the DevMachine one (win 7) appears to be okay. Problems happened after a logic board swap on the macbook. I have two SSDs in here, everything was on the main system one but there's a copy of the VM on the media SSD which appears in that config dump, but that's not important.

thanks!
Paul

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From a quick look at the files it seems that all required files are present and have proper entries/sizes. Please try to delete all the .lck files and folders in the VM's folder/package to see whether this solves the issue.

André

0 Kudos
paulcurtis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome, that appears to work. Thanks André!

0 Kudos