VMware Communities
SuperSlipperyGo
Contributor
Contributor

FaceTime HD Camera Not Work in Guest

I have Fusion 6.0.3 and Mac OS 10.9.3 on a 2013 MacBook Pro.  My guest VM is running Windows 8.1.  My problem is I cannot connect the FaceTime HD camera to the guest VM.  It is simply not listed in the "USB & Bluetooth Settings" screen.  Support is telling me this is a known issue and the developers are working on a fix that might come in a future update.  Can someone confirm for me this is truly a known issue and its not something specific to my computer?  I'm sure I've had the camera attached to the guest but I cannot remember exactly when and if it was before 6.0.3 or before I installed the OS X 10.9.3 update.  Anyway, any advise would be appreciated.  I am now looking into Parallels and would like input from this forum before I purchase it and abandon Fusion over this issue.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
snruebes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is a very old issue VMware never took care of.

I reported this in this thread

Issue with new MacBook Air 2013 and 720p Facetime HD camera

already 11 month ago but nothing happened. The problem is, that Apple decided to connected the Factime Camera via PCIe to the system in Gen 2013 Macbook and VMware is simply ignorant. They leave their client customers in the rain. I can only laugh when I hear that Apple and VMware have a close relationship and VMware is implementing required changes in their products quickly if Apple has HW or OS updates in the pipe. This is only marketing gossip. I think it is like for all in the IT industry - they hear the changes at first during the keynote. Apple does not trust anybody. 

Parallels is supporting the Facetime camera already quite a while even in the newer MacBooks. So you can switch - but this does not matter for VMware - they make the big money with their server products - the client part is irrelevant for them - so don't expect that they will fix it soon.

But I have to admit it is easier for Parallels because they only develop for one target - Mac OS X client. This makes a difference compared to VMware which have to consider Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and their server line.

SuperSlipperyGo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this information.  Using the camera in Windows VM is important for me and I'm already testing Parallels and its looking good.  Too bad VMware doesn't fix this as they most likely will soon have one less long time customer.

0 Kudos