VMware Communities
michaelstorageg
Contributor
Contributor

FUSION: HOW DO YOU GROW BOOT PARTITION? and how do you move vms from fusion to server?

HEY all I have a few vms that I started with 5 gig os drive and I need to grow them. How do I grow the drives? infact how do you grow any drives under fusion?

2nd How to transfer vm's from vusion to server?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would suggest reading (and while you're at it, ).

The short answers are and it depends on which version of Server you're using. If it's Server 2, just copy the files over. If it's Server 1, you need to downgrade the virtual hardware (since Server 1 is older) - Workstation 6 can do this, but Fusion can't. You could use the free 30-day trial if you don't want to purchase Workstation; you could also use Converter.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

HEY all I have a few vms that I started with 5 gig os drive and I need to grow them. How do I grow the drives? infact how do you grow any drives under fusion?

Review this thread:

2nd How to transfer vm's from fusion to server?

You need to copy the VM bundle from Documents > Virtual Machines to an external USB drive. If your VMDK is monolithic (one file) that is over 4 GB in size, you need to use vmware-vdiskmanager or the GUI wrapper to split it out into 2 GB parts that fit on a FAT32 filesystem. Since you need vmware-vdiskmanager to grow a disk refer to the link above on how to run it.

Note: The above only works if the VM originally came from Server (or was built on Server) and you have not Upgraded the machine in Fusion. If you've built a 100% Fusion machine, then you'll have to use Server 2 (currently in beta), or follow Eric's directions above for using Workstation to 'downgrade' the machine to Server 1.0 format, OR use VMware Converter to export it in a compatible format.

edit: add legacy machine clarifications

0 Kudos