VMware Communities
headlines
Contributor
Contributor

F Keys for Applications

Hi,

I know I have seen it, but I do not seem to be able to find it again:

How do I set a virtual machine for Win XP to submit an F key command to a Windows application?

What I need right now is to be able to change the zoom in MS Publisher with the F9 key, instead of evoking a Mac-response to that key.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
markshel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Currently there are three main ways to send keys such as F9 directly to the guest.

1) You can disable Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts which will cause all keys to go to the guest. Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Mac OS Shortcuts -> Enable Mac OS Shortcuts

2) Certain troublesome keys such as F9 can be sent using the send key menu. Virtual Machine -> Send Key -> F9

3) You could define a keyboard mapping from a binding of your choice (ex command F9) to F9. Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Key Mapping

headlines
Contributor
Contributor

O.K., that was it. Solution 1) works fine.

Is there a trick, however, to keep a key combination to switch spaces anyway? With the OS keys disabled, can Fusion send a key command to OS (f.e. to switch spaces)?

0 Kudos
markshel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately, there is no way to configure Fusion to pass some Mac OS key combinations to the guest while preserving the standard Mac OS behavior for others, such as spaces.

The only way you can currently get behavior similar to this would be to use option number 3 where you can define your own key binding which does not conflict with a Mac OS keybinding, which will send F9 to the guest.

0 Kudos