Contributor

Extreme lagging when changing environments

15 in. MacBook Pro 2013 Retina

16 GB RAM

Mac OS Yosemite

Fusion 7

Windows 7 VM with 2 CPU, 2 GB RAM, Shared networking

CentOS 6 VM with 2 CPU, 2 GB RAM, Shared networking

Every day I move my laptop between 2 different locations, home and work.  I just leave the laptop in sleep, then wake up at the other location.  Very frequently after I change locations and start up the VM in Fusion, the VMs start behaving extremely slowly.  The spinning beachball appears.  Keystrokes take several minutes to register in the VM.  In Activity Monitor, the vmware-vmx process consumes large amounts of CPU.  And all this is just at the VM login screen.  All other applications run fine.

Changing the VM networking between bridged and shared does not help.  Quitting and restarting Fusion does not help.  The only way I can restore normal performance this is to reboot the Mac.  But several days to a week later, it happens again.  I also had this problem with Fusion 6 and OS X Mavericks.

Is anyone else having these problems, and is there any way to fix this besides rebooting?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Are you suspending the VM's before sleeping the computer?

0 Kudos
Blaster20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I usually suspend the VMs before sleep.  Sometimes I shut down the VMs.  But I always quit Fusion before sleep.

0 Kudos