VMware Communities
emarai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

External hard disk on vmware fusion 5 not recognized

Hi,

I have installed on my virtual machine windows 8.1 pro, windows vista and ubuntu 14. I have a macbook pro retina 13'' and every time I insert my external hard disk, the virtual machine ask me where to connect the device. If I choose mac, it works perfectly, but if I chose the guest system, such as windows, it is not recognized by the system.

I mean, it is suppose to come out somewhere that I have connected the disk. If I go to computer I can only see my local disk(C:\) but not my hard disk.

My hd is formatted exfat so there isn't any compatibily problem with windows, I already tried on other laptop.

How can I solve this issue?

Thanks a lot

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mini2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Suggest to check your device manager or disk manager first, and since your usb device is usb 3, it's better for you to try Fusion 6 or above.Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If it's a USB 3 device, and connected through a hub, try connecting it directly.

FWIW, exFat is an easily corruptible drive format, so make sure you have a very good backup system in place.

0 Kudos
emarai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

first of all,Yes mine is an usb 3 device.

Second, what do you mean with connect directly? What is a hub? I Connect my hard disk to my mac, and if the VM is off it works ok. If is on and I choose mac, still works. The problem is that if I choose the guest system that the VM is using, the hd obviously disappear on the mac screen, but it's not recognized by the guest system (Windows). I have checked the options and usb 3 is abilited on Vmware fusion but I don't know if I need to install something into the guess system.

Can you tell me what do I have to check if so?

thanks a lot again

0 Kudos
mini2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Suggest to check your device manager or disk manager first, and since your usb device is usb 3, it's better for you to try Fusion 6 or above.Thanks.

emarai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks I uploaded in vmware fusion 7 and everything is ok now!

0 Kudos