VMware Communities
tomjc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

External USB DVD Question

Quick question.

Currently using Parallels with a Win7 virtual machine.  I connect my external dvd drive via USB to and all is well, except it shows up in my Win7 virtual machine as a network drive with a different drive letter each time.  The software I'm trying to run requires the CD be inserted into the same drive in which it was installed, so this is obviously a problem.  I can't afford to uninstall then reinstall the software each time I want to use it.

Does Fusion mount usb drives properly with the same drive letter each time?  Or, at least mount it as a non-network drive which will allow me to change the drive letter through disk management if need be?

I would like to know before purchasing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks,

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using VMware Fusion Professional 5.0.3 on an early 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display (15.4/2.8/16GB/768GB FLASH) I just tested, several times, connecting/disconnecting the Apple USB SuperDrive to the Virtual Machine directly as a USB Device and each time it maintained the originally assigned Drive Letter.  It also was shown as a normal DVD-RW Drive and not as a Network Drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using VMware Fusion Professional 5.0.3 on an early 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display (15.4/2.8/16GB/768GB FLASH) I just tested, several times, connecting/disconnecting the Apple USB SuperDrive to the Virtual Machine directly as a USB Device and each time it maintained the originally assigned Drive Letter.  It also was shown as a normal DVD-RW Drive and not as a Network Drive.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well in fusion, the drive letter does not change for external usb dvd drives.

I suggest you to try the trial version of fusion before purchasing.

Cheers! Avanish
RJIn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you check if the drive is added to shared folder? Virtual Machine>Settings>Sharing.

Also, Fusion has it's own generic NEC driver see the CD/DVD drive but you just need to ensure that CD/DVD drive is always connected mac side not to Windows side when prompted and then go to Virtual Machine>settings>CD/DVD drive and then turn it on.

Note:- In this case Fusion will think that your Mac has an inbuilt cd/dvd drive.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos