VMware Communities
mark143
Contributor
Contributor

Extending Disk Space

How do I do this? Other forums said I could use vdiskmanager. But this is available for server. How do I extend my hardisk in fusion alone? Can I download it from somewhere?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yaztromo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware-vdiskmanager is installed into "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion" by default.

Note that this tool will only expand the virtual hard drive size; you'll still need some guest-specific tool to expand the partition and the filesystem to use this new space in an existing partition; you can, of course create a new partition in the new space if you so wish (although if you're going to do this, I'd suggest creatinga new virtual drive instead).

Yaz.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Resizing a Virtual Disk for Windows Guests with Step by Step Instructions[/url]

0 Kudos
mark143
Contributor
Contributor

thank you! This did it! However, I hope VMWare will make it easier to do this especially to the less experienced

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately it's a two part-stacked problem that comes from modelling a physical PC closely. The first problem is you need to expand the 'capacity' of the virtual disk - which VMware can make easy through a GUI. The tougher part comes from expanding the logical filesystem partition contained on the disk of which there are many like fat32, ntfs and the myriad linux filesystems (ext2, ext3, jfs, xfs, zfs, ...). And Microsoft doesn't document ntfs at the level that allows this to be done easily which is why it the process has been reverse-engineered by third-parties. While I consider the commercial resizing tools to be stable, there is always a chance of data loss during the header resize, so there's risk and liability.

As users become more knowledgeable with virtualization, they'll plan ahead like making a virtual disk dynamically expanding with a large capacity like 127 GB, where the host file just goes to meet your needs. This way you never have to resize the logical partitions.

0 Kudos