VMware Communities
askywalker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Explorer crashes when browsing the Host Shared folder in XP

I have XP Pro SP2 running in Fusion. When in XP, browsing the 'Shared Folders on '.host' (Z:) drive, Explorer crashes.

I installed MagicDisc, then ended up uninstalling it. I am also running Visual Studio 2005, and a couple of 'components' (ie: Developer Express), Adobe Reader and TextPad.

Any advice? I tried running the 'Install VMWare Tools' again (repairing) - but it did not fix the problem.

I see many questions similar to mine from pre release (I am running the release version). The questions did not seem to have any answers, hoping someone has an idea what to try. I don't want to spend the half day reinstalling everything if it isn't going to fix the problem (as seemed to be the case in previous threads).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UpSa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I fixed this problem by switching folders options to classic view in XP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
askywalker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have found that if I start from the link on my XP desktop there is a pause when first opening the Share Folder. Once I regain control (maybe 3 or 4 seconds?) I can traverse the share directory. If I start from Windows Explorer (I also tried adding a drive letter mount) windows explorer crashes.

Still hoping that someone can offer some advice on where to look.

0 Kudos
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you running avast anti-virus in XP? Exploring shared folders

caused problems for me until they updated their engine (version 1029).

0 Kudos
askywalker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not running any Virus or Firewall software.

I have installed:

Textedit

Visual Studio 2005

Visual Studio 2003

Developer Express Component Suite (for Visual Studio)

I have added a VPN connection, and have mapped some drives to the server. These work fine - the Explorer crash happens regardless of VPN state.

I guess I should start a new install - but I am travelling in Asia for a couple more weeks so don't have access to all the software.

0 Kudos
UpSa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I fixed this problem by switching folders options to classic view in XP.

0 Kudos
zeener1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip. Switching Windows Exporer to the classic view worked for me too. No longer crashing the Shared Folder.

0 Kudos
askywalker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect! Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A couple developers tried to reproduce this and couldn't. If you're still seeing this crash, can you try to think of anything else that might be the cause?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since you're a developer (or have the developer tools), do you have TortoiseCVS installed? My explorer crashes every once in a while with this explorer extension. If you have any other kind of explorer extensions (WinZIP, RAR, Google Desktop, etc) some of these third-party tools can introduce bugs that crash explorer.

0 Kudos
askywalker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have winrar and textedit installed. I just checked my install - I also am using winmerge. These three apps all add context menus while in Explorer - so it could be any of them. Switching to classic view works perfectly - so I am not troubled by this issue anymore, but am happy to help troubleshoot. There are a couple of other applications that I don't suspect - like Developer Express Suite, and the a couple of components from Xceed.

0 Kudos
drwff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just saw this thread after posting a similar question (Help with Sharing Files?). I am using "Classic View" and it still crashes for me when trying to browse the "Shared Folder" Folder that is Mapped as a Network Drive in Windows Explorer.

0 Kudos
thealsir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool! Changing the folder view to classic fixed it for me too. Thanks.

0 Kudos
visent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow... very very thank's by the help!!

I was going crazy with this.

:smileycool:

0 Kudos