VMware Communities
Virtual_Newbie
Contributor
Contributor

Expanding disk space

Hi. I am very new to VMware fusion and am running it on a new iMac for the sole purpose of using Quicken for Windows. I just spent the last week re-attaching all the attachments lost in my conversion to the new machine and am leary of doing anything to upset this. Today, I was told that my hard drive space for Fusion was very low and I looked it up, and there's about 4GB left. I was trying to read the posts and, honestly, find the threads to be confusion and don't want to act until I'm sure of what I'm doing. I had originally selected the default 20GB allocation for Windows, but don't really know what happened to all that space. Is there anyone who can walk me through the process of increasing that number, keeping in mind that I'm new to all of this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Before you make any changes, it's a good idea to be sure of what's going on. What gave you the message that your disk space is low - OS X, Fusion, or Windows? Where do you see that you have 4 GB left? Where, indeed, is your space going in Windows (check for large folders/files, I'm sure there are apps which will help you isolate them)?

0 Kudos
Virtual_Newbie
Contributor
Contributor

I was shutting down Quicken within Fusion and got the message upon

backing up, I assumed from Windows. Aside from Windows, I installed

Norton Anti-virus, Adobe Acrobat Reader,

Quicken and my printer/scanner/fax machine. Within the Control Panel I

just checked on the amount of space used on my C: drive and saw that

there was about 15 GB left. ??? Right now, I am trying to close

Quicken (which I backup frequently to my c:) and I'm getting this

"Warning: The amount of free space on drive c: is very low. We recommend that you free up more disc space before proceeding."

I

checked the add/remove programs to see if there was anything I did not

need, but nothing listed there was bigger than maybe 150 MB, hardly a

space hog. So according to my Windows Explorer/Control Panel, I have

enough space. Any thoughts where such a message is coming from?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

According to Quicken: The Missing Manual, the program saves five backups by default and cycles through them. I don't know what the backup process is but it's possible that your free space dips below some threshold that triggers that warning. You could try keeping an Explorer window open and watch the free space in the Status bar by typing F5 (or fn-F5) and keep an eye on how low the free space gets during the backup. It's possible free space dips and recovers after the operation but 15 GB seems like plenty of space.

0 Kudos