VMware Communities
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Expand or move the virtual machine to another partition/ hard disk

I tried to expand my disc to 90 gb but nothing change, i.e. the vm still remains with 60 gb. I've VMware Fusion 6 (Mac/Windows 10) and my vm is in monolithic mode. In this actual HD I still have 50 gb free and I can't increase the amount again to try to regularise this issue and I can't to decrease it either. I thought to change the vm location to the another partition/hd with more space but I don't know how. So, I need some help to choose and implemente one of the solutions below:

- or regularise the space to the new amount

- or move the vm (vmdk) to another HD/partition

- or convert the monolithic mode to 2GB split

What's the better solution?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is help me;

Resize a Windows Partition with the Disk Management Tool

When you enlarge your virtual hard disk, you must also enlarge your guest operating system's partition to take advantage of the additional space.

Fusion resizes the guest operating system's partition when you resize the virtual hard disk. If you held down the Option key when you clicked Apply to resize the disk, you can manually resize the Windows partition. For Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista you can use the operating system's Disk Management tool to resize a partition.

Prerequisites

Verify that your virtual hard disk is big enough to accept the increase in partition size. See Resize a Hard Disk.

Procedure

1 Right-click Computer and select Manage.

2 Double-click Storage.

3 Double-click Disk Management.

4 In the list, right-click the partition to expand and select Extend Volume.

5 Follow the prompts to resize the partition and click Finish and the partition item in the Disk Management pane will display its new size.

6 Close the Computer Management window

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Did you update the disk inside the VM?  That's part of the process.

0 Kudos
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't know if I did it. Could you tell me how?

0 Kudos
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please, some help. I'm stucked here. I cannot install anything more.

0 Kudos
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is help me;

Resize a Windows Partition with the Disk Management Tool

When you enlarge your virtual hard disk, you must also enlarge your guest operating system's partition to take advantage of the additional space.

Fusion resizes the guest operating system's partition when you resize the virtual hard disk. If you held down the Option key when you clicked Apply to resize the disk, you can manually resize the Windows partition. For Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista you can use the operating system's Disk Management tool to resize a partition.

Prerequisites

Verify that your virtual hard disk is big enough to accept the increase in partition size. See Resize a Hard Disk.

Procedure

1 Right-click Computer and select Manage.

2 Double-click Storage.

3 Double-click Disk Management.

4 In the list, right-click the partition to expand and select Extend Volume.

5 Follow the prompts to resize the partition and click Finish and the partition item in the Disk Management pane will display its new size.

6 Close the Computer Management window

0 Kudos