VMware Communities
nzcid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Expading Virtual disk size for windows

Greetings

I have VMWare Version 8.5.10 (7527438)

The Hard Drive size under setting is set at 60GIGs. I wish to add more storage for windows as it is starting to run really slow. Windows size is up to 41GIGs

Macintosh HDD size is 639.28 GB - Available with virtual disk closed 523.44 GB  - Used space 523.44 GB

So what I did is resize the virtual disk under settings to 100GIGs but it tells me in windows I have to use some tool to allocate the extended size to the existing partition.

Can someone walk me through what I have to do in windows please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order to be able to expand a basic disk in Windows, there needs to be adjacent free disk space, which is not the case here.

What you need to do is to either move the recovery partition to the end of the expanded disk (using e.g. a live partitioning tool like gParted), or - if you don't need the recovery partition - delete it.

Since this is a virtual machine, make sure that you create a snapshot prior to reconfiguring the partitions. This will allow you to return to the current state in case things don't work as expected.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nzcid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok following VMware help files and windows help files.

I right clicked on ThisPC and did the following;

Manage > storage > disk management >right click on "c" drive to choose the extend volume but that option is greyed out.

This area shows there is a disk 0 with 40gigs unallocated, which is the additional space I allocated under the settings in vmware.

So not sure where to go next to get "C" drive to take up that 40GIG unallocated space.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please post a screenshot of the Disk Management window.

Which Windows version do you use?

André

0 Kudos
nzcid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey there

Thank you for the reply. screen image attached of the disk management window. In that window if I right click on "c" drive the expand volume option is greyed out.

The version of Windows is v10

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order to be able to expand a basic disk in Windows, there needs to be adjacent free disk space, which is not the case here.

What you need to do is to either move the recovery partition to the end of the expanded disk (using e.g. a live partitioning tool like gParted), or - if you don't need the recovery partition - delete it.

Since this is a virtual machine, make sure that you create a snapshot prior to reconfiguring the partitions. This will allow you to return to the current state in case things don't work as expected.

André

0 Kudos
nzcid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greetings André

Thank you for your time and knowledge in resolving this issue.

After additional research for windows I see I did not really need that recovery sector created by windows on installation / upgrade from windows 7. So for others who may read this further research gave me a video showing using the command prompt in windows 10 as admin I was able to delete this partition.

This then placed the additional space adjacent to my existing windows partition. Then all the options that were previously greyed out were available for me to use. Using the extend volume option I just followed the prompts and I now have windows running with a HDD size of 100GIGS as per the image.

Once again really appreciate your assistance

0 Kudos