VMware Communities
IvarREW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Existing VMs not recognized by fresh Fusion install

I recently had some disk corruption issues and had to rebuild my system. The OS I was using successfully before was Mac OS X Yosemite, and the newly installed OS is also Yosemite.

I had been using VMWare Fusion 7 pretty much since it was released without issue. I have reinstalled Vmware Fusion 7 on my new machine and am trying to use the VMs I had backed up. Bizarrely, they are not recognized despite all existing in $HOME/Documents/Virtual Machines where they resided in my previous setup. Since they weren't immediately recognized upon opening my fresh install of VMWare Fusion 7 I have tried to import them.  When I navigate to the target folder and see the desired VMs in the file browser they are all greyed out and I am unable to select them for import. Their file extension is .vmwarevm

What might have changed ? How do I get my existing virtual machines back and working with the same software that had previously worked successfully?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IvarREW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ugh - After googling some more *after* posting my plea, I found that I can just double-click the .vmwarevm file to open it in Fusion.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IvarREW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ugh - After googling some more *after* posting my plea, I found that I can just double-click the .vmwarevm file to open it in Fusion.

jpdemers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, thanks for doing the search - I had the same problem and here you went and solved it for me!:smileygrin:

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Another way to solve the same problem is to drag and drop the .vmwarevm files from the Finder into the VMware Fusion "Virtual Machine Library" window.

Once the virtual machines are in the Virtual Machine Library window, you can drag them around with your mouse to rearrange the order that they appear. You can also create folders to organize them. (To remove a virtual machine icon from a folder, use the list view.)

0 Kudos