VMware Communities
mihouser
Contributor
Contributor

Excel wont open from guest OS

Is there a way to open an Excel document from a server on the host OS side?

Everytime it try I try to open an excel document on my mac running Office I get a messae that says the file \\server\reports.xls. Is Not in a folder shared with the host with the host and can not be opened by the host.

My mac is running VMware Fusion 3.0 and OSX 10.6.8

My Guest side is Windows XP SP3

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please try this...

1. In  Fusion, go to your virtual machine's Sharing settings (Virtual Machine  menu > Shared Folders > Open Shared Folders Settings...)

2. Check the box to "Allow the virtual machine to open applications on your Mac".

3. Shut down (don't just suspend) your virtual machine, and exit Fusion.

When  next you start up the virtual machine, you can use the "Open With..."  dialogue (or the Folder Options Control Panel) to set the default  application to use to open files of that type. Below the "Recommended  Programs" section, at the top of the "Other Programs" section, you'll  see the VMware logo and the line "Default Host Application". Select  that, and you'll be able to use the Mac program assigned to open files  with that extension from within the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
mihouser
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that and I still get the same error message. I can now open Excel files on the Desktop of the guest PC but not off the server \\server\reports.xls

Thanks,

0 Kudos