VMware Communities
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Excel 2007 & 2003 Cannot Complete Task with Available Resources

Hoping for a little help. I love VMWare Fusion for the Mac, except that I do quite a bit of work with spreadsheets. I continually run into the fact that simple copy and paste functionality doesn't work for a large # of rows or columns between spreadsheets.

I have followed all the steps recommended, rebooted the machine, etc. but the issue persists. I am almost to the point of having to rebuild my PC just to do simple tasks related to spreadsheets.

Does anyone know how I can get this message and issue to go away?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
baylorfrawg
Contributor
Contributor

It sounds there is an issue with the conversion between 2003 & 2007. If you are going to be using the same spreadsheets in both versions, you will need to save the files as 1997-2003 while in 2007. The coding within 2007 is considerably larger than allowable in 2003 so you will get that error. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. However it doesn't really help solve the problem. For example I can work with a relatively simple spreadsheet in Excel 2003 and run out of resources very quickly. I have expanded the virtual memory, etc. as recommended in the forum, but it doesn't solve the issue.

Using Excel 2007 only, I run into the same issue where Excel and the Virtual Machine run out of resouces.

I am trying to find a way to use Excel 2007 in VMWare Fusion without running into the annoying message everytime I try to copy, paste, etc. in Excel.

Does anyone have a solution?

j

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

If you think this is a Fusion issues, then it would help more if you provide more Fusion related info. Take a look at HOWTO: Ask (and Answer) Questions or suggestions on what kind of info to provide. Specifically, if you say that you cannot copy, then what is the error message? How much RAM did you allocate to the virtual machine? What OS is the virtual machine? How much RAM does your Mac host have? You "followed the recommended steps." What steps are that? (i.e.: links to tutorials, knowledgebase, blogs, etc.) Basically, this is an Excel error, so you'd fix this the same in Fusion as you'd do on a physical machine. If Excel needs more RAM or HD space, then you'd add more. In the case of Fusion, it's simply a matter of shutting down the virtual machine, then adjusting the virtual machine settings. (Well, a little more involved if you need more HD space.)

0 Kudos