VMware Communities
Mike_Benis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Evaluation of software that requires UNC or client/server addresses - what are they?

Hi there!

I'm evaluating software that won't install under Fusion as as a standalone installation

The SW developers are telling me that they need to know the path where the SW will be installed (including server name or IP address) and that this means that I need a share on the machine which can be accessed via UNC (e.g.
server name\share name\path) or as an alternative a server/client installation for which the server must be accessable via UNC as well.

What do I tell them to get things working?

MTIA

Mike

PS: Still no luck with performance of Dragon NaturallySpeaking under Vista 32 - will experiment with disabling 3D graphics / App Sharing / Pass-through printing....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your virtual machine operates exactly like a physical machine as far as UNC and shared folders are concerned. If you were installing this on a physical machine, what would you enter for the UNC address? For example, on a Windows XP machine named PeeCee, with folder C:\temp that is shared with the name "temp", the UNC of the shared folder would be:

PeeCee\Temp

If the same Windows XP machine has an IP address of 192.168.1.2, then you can also specify the UNC as:

192.168.1.2\temp

It does not matter that Windows is on a physical machine or virtual machine. Accessing by UNC is the same.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your virtual machine operates exactly like a physical machine as far as UNC and shared folders are concerned. If you were installing this on a physical machine, what would you enter for the UNC address? For example, on a Windows XP machine named PeeCee, with folder C:\temp that is shared with the name "temp", the UNC of the shared folder would be:

PeeCee\Temp

If the same Windows XP machine has an IP address of 192.168.1.2, then you can also specify the UNC as:

192.168.1.2\temp

It does not matter that Windows is on a physical machine or virtual machine. Accessing by UNC is the same.

0 Kudos
Mike_Benis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks!

0 Kudos