VMware Communities
Badeen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ethernet Driver Problems in Windows 7 64bit Boot Camp VM

I can't seem to get a proper connection in my new Windows 7 64bit Boot Camp based VM. I already went to add that line "ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000"" mentioned in other threads but it was already there. In the Windows Device Manager it highlights "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection" by adding a yellow-triangle-exclamation thingy. It's "Device status" says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". Any solutions?

Fusion 3.1.1

VM: Windows 7 64bit with all system updates from a fresh Boot Camp install

Host: Mac OS X 10.6.4, MacBook Pro 15in Unibody, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, yada, yada, yada

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Network Adapter from within Windows?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Network Adapter from within Windows?

0 Kudos
Badeen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked. Thanks. Been a while since I left Windows and my troubleshooting skills aren't what they used to be on that side of things.

0 Kudos
pcecchetti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue with a windows 7 64bit machine imported from parallels 6 for Mac

I followed all the steps in KB and tried what suggested here but I still have the device not working with error code 1.

Any hint?

Thanks

Paolo

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What KB Article are you referring to?

Have you tried uninstalling/uinstalling the Network Adapter in both the OS and Virtual Machine Settings?

Archive and attach a copy of the .vmx configuration file along with the vmware.log files (usually 4 of them) following the directions in . (Note: Do not copy and paste the content of the files in a reply rather archive them first then attach the .zip archive file,)

0 Kudos
pcecchetti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes done it, following KB

Included vmx file and config

Thanks for the help

Paolo

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since VMware Fusion 3 is older then Parallels 6 it may be an issue directly related to something in Parallels 6 that is causing this issue so the only suggestion I have at the moment is to use information in the following Microsoft KB Article to remove any devices that are not connected specifically in the Network adapters node. Note: While the KB is for Windows XP nonetheless use the information to see if there is anything that can be cleaned up that's left over from Parallels 6 as it may be the contributing factor in this issue.

Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based computer

0 Kudos
pcecchetti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.

Unfortunately I see the Ethernet Device on my Device manager. And doing your procedure I don't see any other device.

Problem is that the ethernet device has an error code 1. If I remove it and scan the hadware, when Windows try to start it it gives the error "Unable to install it" and if I try to update driver I get the same error.

I tried also to reinstall drivers from intel site but no result.

Paolo

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay here is what I'd try...

If your uncomfortable doing this then set a Restore Point or take a Snapshot before proceeding.

Look in the %SystemRoot%\inf\setupapi.dev.log file for occurrences of PRO/1000 and see which .inf file it used to install it and then delete the target .inf and .pnf files from the %SystemRoot%\inf folder.

Next see which %SystemRoot%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository file it used and then extract the contents to %SystemDrive%\Temp and then go into Device Manager and delete the Network Adapter.

Next scan for hardware changes and Windows will not be able to install it successfully however then just update the driver pointing to the %SystemDrive%\Temp folder and when it complains that it can verify the signature continue installing it anyway.

0 Kudos
pcecchetti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No luck again.

But I realized that now on windows VM I have only 4/5 softwares I really use, so I installed Win7 and the software on a brand new VM and it flies Smiley Happy

Thanks for the nice support WoodyZ

Paolo

0 Kudos