VMware Communities
pmullins11
Contributor
Contributor

Error when creating a macOS 10.15 Catalina guest using Fusion 11.5.0

Hello.

I just downloaded the official macOS Catalina install file and tried using it to create a 10.15 guest using Fusion 11.5.0. When I do so I get an "Unable to create the installation medium" error. Anyone know what might causing this? Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
sharkus
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also seeing the exact same issue.

0 Kudos
mncg
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem here. I worked around it by cloning a 10.14 VM and updating that to 10.15. That's not exactly the same thing but was sufficient for my needs.

0 Kudos
ctmorey
Contributor
Contributor

I got it to work by moving the installer to an external drive...

0 Kudos
sharkus
Contributor
Contributor

I thought I'd try creating a 10.14.6 VM and upgrading it, but Fusion 11.5.0 won't let me create a 10.14 VM either, returns the same message!

I had a quick search around and found this article about creating a VM for Mojave, I've tried it, replacing instances of Mojave with Catalina, and it seems to work so far. It at least gets me past the error and I can see the Apple logo as the machine boots.

The article is:

https://www.huibdijkstra.nl/how-to-set-up-a-osx-mojave-vm-in-vmware-fusion/

Essentially it's just using the createinstallmedia tool to create a local iso file from the installer, much as you'd do if you wanted the installer on a USB key.

I've also tried the suggestion of moving the installer to another disk, and that does seem to avoid the error. It does sit on "Creating new installation medium.  This may take a few minutes" screen, so I wonder if it's simply using the same process as mentioned above to create the installer iso file?

0 Kudos
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

copy installer to external drive also worked for me.

0 Kudos
mallea
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same exact issue with Fusion 11.5.

I tried 1) moving the installer out of /Applications and that didn't work, and 2) moving the installer to an external USB stick (as recommended by others) and that didn't work either.

Very interesting that this doesn't work given the explicit support for macOS 10.15 mentioned in the 11.5 release notes...

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos