VMware Communities
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Error specifying LSI Logic oem driver for Windows XP installation

After getting Fusion to recognize my floppy file, and following docs at http://pubs.vmware.com/guestnotes/ for installing Windows XP, I downloaded these drivers from LSI Logic at http://www.lsilogic.com/cm/DownloadSearch.do

LSI20320-R_xp_50700_01034132IT_1201800_1005239.zip[/code]

Now, I'm getting this error installing Windows XP SP2 (VLK, not slipstream)

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (32768) at line 1747 in d:\xpsrtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

Press any key to continue.[/code]

LSI Logic has two sets of files for 32-bit XP,

Windows XP WHQL 1.09.11 7/6/04 readme.txt MID850725 Integrated Mirroring bios/fw and driver package

Windows XP WHQL 1.20.18.00 7/26/05 readme.txt MID 1005239 Initiator/Target bios/fw and Microsoft Certified driver.[/code]

I tried the latest 1.20 first but now I'm backing down to 1.09...

Update:[/b]

I'm getting the same error with LSI Logic 1.09 drivers

Any ideas?

Update 2:[/b]

BusLogic installation is working with vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp from the Workstation 5.5 downloads page.

I re-created my LSI Logic disk again to make sure it was clean and installing XP SP2 does not work with the oem drivers in Fusion.

Update 3:[/b]

I'm running under an LSI Logic adapter now after using Windows PnP to add the adapter with the same LSI Logic OEM driver disk. I switched my primary drive adapter type to LSI Logic and installed the VMware Tools using the Complete option and everything seems to be working OK.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Richard,

The new virtual machine wizard creates a Windows XP virtual machine to use a virtual IDE disk, since Windows XP does not include the Bus Logic driver or the exact LSI Logic device driver used in the virtual machine on the XP install CD.

You could configure the virtual machine to use a LSI Logic SCSI controller, if you download the LSI Logic® LSI53C10xx Ultra320 SCSI controller device driver.

Any particular reason why you wanted the XP VM to use LSI Logic?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Kevin,

Thank you for the information. Can you reconcile why VMware's Guest Operating System Installation Guide for installing Windows XP, at http://pubs.vmware.com/guestnotes/ , says

... If you are using the virtual LSI Logic SCSI adapter, you must download the driver from the download center at the LSI Logic Web site. Go to

http://www.lsilogic.com/cm/DownloadSearch.do and download for the LSI20320-R SCSI adapter driver for your guest operating system. ...[/code]

with your advice of using a different LSI Logic Adapter?

You could configure the virtual machine to use a LSI Logic SCSI controller, if you download the LSI Logic® LSI53C10xx Ultra320 SCSI controller device driver.

I can certainly try the alternative LSI Logic adapter at my next opportunity. FWIW, the same OEM disk that would not install the LSI Logic driver at OS install time worked fine to add the driver via Plug-n-Play as a secondary SCSI adapter.

>Any particular reason why you wanted the XP VM to use LSI Logic?

Over the years of using VMware products, I have evaluated the IDE, BusLogic and LSILogic adapters and I find LSI Logic to be the most performant for my particular usage patterns in the Guest.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>You could configure the virtual machine to use a LSI Logic SCSI controller, if you download the LSI Logic® LSI53C10xx Ultra320 SCSI controller device driver.

Kevin,

Could you be a little more specific as to an LSI Logic controller, by using xx as a wildcard above, all of these adapters apply:

LSI53C1000

PCI to Ultra160 SCSI controller

LSI53C1000R

PCI to Ultra160 SCSI controller

LSI53C1010R

PCI to dual-channel Ultra160 SCSI controller

LSI53C1020

PCI-X to Ultra320 SCSI Controller

LSI53C1020A

PCI-X to Ultra320 SCSI Controller

LSI53C1030

PCI-X to dual-channel Ultra320 SCSI controller

LSI53C1030T

PCI-X to Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Controller[/pre]

I've tried LSI53C1010 and LSI53C1020 and I received the same consistent error:

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (32768) at

line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

Press any key to continue[/code]

The error is fatal because I'm not allowed to continue using the adapter. I will try the rest of them, time-permitting. Something is either hosed with XP-SP2 or the instal process.

Thanks

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I solved my problem. There's something wrong with the FLP creation process on OS X. I took my FLP to a Windows box with VMware Server 1.01 and it failed exactly the same way. So I created an LSILogic disk using a virtual floppy driver there and that one worked. I brought that floppy image back to Fusion and it solved the problem.

I thought the problem might be end-of-line conversions but my Text Editor is tell me the EOL is CRLF. I also verified with a binary viewer. So that's not it, at least for the .oem, .inf and .txt files on the disk. I'll see if I can dig into this further.

This outcome is another reason LSI Logic or VMware should provide a virtual FLP disk file for all supported virtual devices.[/b]

0 Kudos