VMware Communities
twilite7
Contributor
Contributor

Error: "Check for missing files failed:..."

Just when I think I have this thing down and I'm gotten comfortable with everything being "drag-and-drop and no problem"...

Prior to my hard drive upgrade, hitting VMware Fusion icon in my Applications folder always opened my virtual machine. The way I've been doing it since the upgrade is to open it from Documents>Virtual Machines>Windows XP and I could start the machine.

I wanted the ease of it being in my Applications folder so I dragged it there. After finding it, I realized, it still wasn't like it was on my prior hard drive so I dragged it back to where it was. Now, when I try to start the virtual machine, I get the following error message:

Check for missing files failed:

A needed file was not found.

How do I overcome this? What file? Where do I find the missing file? I'm stuck and I do not want to go back to the backed up version if I can avoid it. There is an important project I worked on and I don't think it was yet saved onto my external drive. It would be a TON of work lost...

Not even sure if they would help but there are no Snapshots showing up. A support file is attached...

Can anyone help? Soon?! Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Shutdown, not suspend, the Virtual Machine and close VMware Fusion.

Open the Virtual Machine Document Package and delete any .lck folders.

Reboot the Mac.

Start the Virtual Machine by double-clicking the Virtual Machine Document Package and I assume you've moved it back to its original location in the ~/Documents/Virtual Machines folder.

Report back and if still having an issues collect support information again and post the new .tgz file.

0 Kudos
twilite7
Contributor
Contributor

If I left it suspended the last time I powered it down, then I am unable to get back in to power it down. It won't let me get into the virtual machine at all... I get the file error immediately after hitting the arrow/play button.

0 Kudos
twilite7
Contributor
Contributor

I took your cue to power down the Mac anyway and then restarted. I then went into the Documents>Virtual Machines folder that I had moved the machine back into and it opened up fine. I am assuming all will work fine now and marked as answered.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos