VMware Communities
ion_sc
Contributor
Contributor

Error on auto turn-on

Good Morning,

I am writing to you about a problem that has arisen with Vmware Fusion, to see if you would know how to solve it.

Several weeks ago I installed a new VM on Vmware Fusion. This new VM is a Debian installation with the 3CX application (Phone System). Everything has been working fine until a few days ago.

The host is rebooted daily, for this, a VM shutdown is scheduled and 15 minutes later the host is rebooted. When booting again, Vmware Fusion boots automatically and the VMs boot when Fusion run.

For a few days the 2 VMs do not start, in one of them it always gives power on error with the following message: "Error starting '/Users/ion/Documents/Debian - 3CX/Debian 10.x (64 bits).vmwarevm /Debiam 10.x (64-bit).vmx'". Hitting ok and play again works fine.

It seems that it is as if they wanted to boot the 2 machines at the same time and Fusion could not manage it.

How can I solve that?

Thanks.

Ion

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Ion,

Please attach the vmware.log file that you can find in the bundle of the debian VM with the problem.

The steps for that are as follows:

Via Finder, go to the folder (/Users/ion/Documents/Debian - 3CX/) select bundle "Debian 10.x (64 bits).vmwarevm", right click and select "Show Package Contents", then locate the vmware.log file in there and attach it to your reply.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ion_sc
Contributor
Contributor

good morning,
Attached to the records. In this case of the VM Windows since yesterday I changed the order of the VMs in the library and today the computer that has not started has been in VM Windows.

Regads,

P.S.: I was looking at the logs and I don't see any logs around 7am, which is when the host boots up.
In this case the last log is from 6:15 a.m. (when the vm is turned off) and the next log starts when the manual start is made (approx. 8:30 a.m.). There is no record of 7:00 a.m.

Ion

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Ion,

That's not the correct log, it's from a windows 10 VM (/Volumes/W10Server/Windows 10 x64.vmwarevm/ ) and the log is partial.

Edit: Oh.. you said so in your reply that it is another VM today (sorry...)

I'm not seeing any message in there about the error though and the log ends with a shut down on 06:15 this morning. Seems the rest is missing? Is this the vmware.log or another file, such as vmware-0.log?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
ion_sc
Contributor
Contributor

I upload 2 more logs from today.

As a comment, there is no log of failed boot from 7:00h.

To clarify:
At 8:37 we have started the VM manually after giving the boot error (It must have been around 7:02).
At 09:06 I have mistakenly shut down the VMs and rebooted the host to see the error.

Regards,
Ion

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

No log from the failed boot at 07:00 even?
So not in vmware-1.log then.

Ack.. that doesn't make it easier to diagnose what happened.

There should be some VIX logs, but I don't know the location on macOS from the top of my memory.

Can you create a VMware Support bundle? (eg. from the Fusion help menu -> Collect Support Information)

That bundle has a lot more details, including some host logs and is probably too big to attach down here at the forum.

The parts I'm interested in are in the bundle found in:

/var/log/system.log

(only the log from today)

and

/Users/campingurrobi/Library/Logs

--
Wil

0 Kudos
ion_sc
Contributor
Contributor

good morning,

It works 2 days without fail.

On 4th of july, when I opened the thread, I did the test of restarting the host and it automatically opened vmware, when executing, it automatically tried to start the VMs.

One started fine but the other failed. I was try to make a screen recording with QT and after closing and execute again VMware app the error did not occur.

I rebooted the host and again the error appeared again when VMware auto-starts, but the error did not occur when opening VMware with the host already booted.

So I tried Delay Start to run vmware 30 seconds after host boot. So far it seems to have worked out well.

I'll see how it goes in the next few days.

Regards,

Ion