VMware Communities
gl3nn
Contributor
Contributor

Error: Failed to lock the file

Hey

I've searched the forums for this already but havent been able to find the answer. I have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition R2 running using Fusion Beta. I tried to start it up a minute ago and got this error message:

"Cannot open the disk '/Virtual Machines/2003 Server/Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Reason: Failed to lock the file'

The only reason i can think of, is that i didnt shut my mac down properly earlier (it froze up and i just had to hold the power button down to turn it off and back on again). I'd like to know if theres a way to fix this problem, or whether or not i have to start from the beginning again, which i'd rather i didnt have to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i didnt shut my mac down properly earlier ...

Yep, that will do it. Check the folder for your VM, there should be 2-3 files with a ".LOCKED" extension. Drag those (and ONLY those!) into the trashcan. You should be good to go after that.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I believe a warning will allow you continue with .LOCK files, the original poster's issue sound more serious.

I would try renaming files with these extensions: .vmem, .vmsd, .vmsn or .vmss files. Some live part of the prior VM state is blocking the VM from starting.

A more detailed message is probably in the VM's vmware.log file.

0 Kudos
gl3nn
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick replies guys

As soon as i finished posting, i thought, 'well why dont i try shutting down properly this time' so i did. And that solved the problem Smiley Happy

Thanks again

Glenn

0 Kudos