VMware Communities
HanSooloo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Erratic / slow mouse movement after Version 5 upgrade

Working in Unity mode on an MBA with Core i7 and 4GB RAM on Lion 10.7.4.  Happens with pretty much any app.  Hard to say what triggers the condition, maybe modal dialog boxes, e.g., Save, etc.

Mouse starts moving really slowly, as if it got trapped in sand.  Lags behind actual physical mouse movement.  I see that the host CPU usage goes to almost 33% with nothing else running when the mouse issue starts.

Tried disabling mouse detection for gaming mode to no avail.

Anyone else experienced this?  Any potential fixes?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
42 Replies
brookssw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update, Simon. Are you able to share any information about what "soon" is? weeks? months? If not, I undrestand.

Also, if you need beta testers, let me know.

0 Kudos
brookssw
Contributor
Contributor

For those wondering, I've installed the 5.0.3 update, and there is a definite improvement on the mouse cursor issues. It's still not perfect, but it's usable now. Thanks for paying attention to us, VMWare.

0 Kudos
jptsetme
Contributor
Contributor

I recently got a Macbook Pro (15" mid-2012) and have installed VMWare Fusion and set up a Windows 7 VM in Unity mode for the windows applications that I need for work.  I upgraded the memory to 16GB and have dedicated 4 CPU cores and 8GB of RAM to the VM (I'll be running Visual Studio, SQL Server and some other heavy stuff there.)  Running Mac OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4.

I have experienced this slow mouse movement issue, and I can see one factor about my setup that could be contributing, and that's the DisplayLink adapter I'm using to connect to my external displays.  I have a Kensington K33972US (sd3500v) DisplayLink adapter, and I have lots of issues like the ones described in this thread.  I notice that some folks say they are running 3 & 4 external monitors, so I imagine they are using DisplayLink Adapters as well. 

Today I updated to the latest DisplayLink driver v2.0 (DisplayLink: Mac OS X Software) and things are markedly better but still far from perfect.  It's possible that some of these issues are due to bugs in the display link drivers or in OS X, based on the comments here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=199

The one application that reproduces this for me most readily is WinSCP.  It's greatly improved with the 2.0 version of the DisplayLink drivers, but it's still very choppy and blocky to move the window around the screen in Unity mode on my external display -- you can see the gray rectangle that represents the window as you try to drag it around.  Moving the window to the built-in display of the Mac completely resolves the issue.

I'm pretty displeased with the DisplayLink adapter and may just return it.  This might be helpful for other folks seeing similar issues.

--Joe

0 Kudos