VMware Communities
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Enlightened backup

Gee, I finally get it... if you want to back up both OSX and your Boot Camp partition, just use Winclone to clone your Boot Camp Partition as a file on your OSX partition, then use SuperDuper! to clone your OSX partition to an external harddrive, and then again to a second external harddrive...

Only catch is, is the internal drive big enough for this...

I'm about to try Winclone for the first time, then I'm going to delete my Boot Camp partition, and someday, I'm going to restore my Winclone clone to an eSATA drive connected to my MacBook Pro via the express slot.. then I'd be able to use Windows natively if need be... otherwise, I'm just going to use my Non-Boot Camp VM... probably 98% of the time...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

I remounted the Boot Camp partition using Disk Utility.. now I can read (in Winclone),

>Free Space: 10.8 GB

>Total Size: 46.8 GB

I'm cloning Vista, so I selected add generic BCD...

Actually, I've selected all the options, which includes,

>Prepare for restoring on a different partition

>Make self extracting (for ARD restoring)

>Remove pagefile.sys before imaging

I don't see any harm in choosing all of the above... but not really sure what ARD is for... think its for when you have a roomful of computers...

Thankfully, after you select and press "Image".. it gives you the option to save to the internal disk or an external disk... I choose external, which was good since it ended up being a 20GB file...

Just looked at Winclones reading of my Boot Camp partition, and now it says there is 12.1 GB of free space, whereas before the cloning there was 10.8 GB of free space

0 Kudos
CJConline
Contributor
Contributor

Great to hear. Winclone is a neat little free product. Just remember when you re-start Windows after the cloning process, Windows will automatically do a chkdsk when you first re-boot from that partition. Just a safety double check, I guess.

Chris

0 Kudos