VMware Communities
vmWareAAA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enabling iSight in XP Pro

I recently installed VM Ware Fusion on iMac and created XP Pro. On the mac side, in the VM Ware window, i clicked to connect my built-in apple iSight camera. This fired up plug-n-play in XP and asked for location of files to install iSight drivers. Where are the drivers located?

BTW, I didn't use Boot Camp. I directly inserted the Fusion disk and created a VM and installed XP Pro.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Like may USB Devices you're not supposed to connect them until the drivers have been installed and you were warned about that when you tried to connect the Apple Built-in iSight. (Although maybe the warning wasn't explicit enough.)

The "Apple Built-in iSight" device requires that you install Apple's Boot Camp driver disc in the virtual machine.

>

If you have not yet completed this step, the device may act erratically or cause the guest operating system to crash. Do you wish to continue? You may cancel now and install the driver disc, if necessary.

At that message you should have clicked the Cancel button.

So if you disconnect the Apple Built-in iSight and install the drivers normally from the DVD and then connect the Apple Built-in iSight things should work automatically after installing the drivers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To use the iSight in Windows you need to install the Boot Camp Drivers. The Boot Camp Drivers are on the Leopard Install DVD 1 or the Leopard Upgrade DVD and can only be read from Windows so you need to insert the DVD for Windows to read.

0 Kudos
vmWareAAA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just have 2 DVDs that came with my iMac labeled, For Mac - OS X 1 and 2. I didn't create a Boot Camp disk. I am a PC guy and don't know how to create a driver disk. Could you please step me thru'.

BTW, sounds very complicated to just create a disk. Can't I download the driver that Windows would recognize?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just have 2 DVDs that came with my iMac labeled, For Mac - OS X 1 and 2. I didn't create a Boot Camp disk. I am a PC guy and don't know how to create a driver disk. Could you please step me thru'.

BTW, sounds very complicated to just create a disk. Can't I download the driver that Windows would recognize?

First of all I never said anything about creating a "Boot Camp disk" or creating any type of disc or disk.

With the Windows Virtual Machine running just insert the Leopard Install DVD Disc 1 into the Mac and then Windows should be able to read the Boot Camp Drivers Volume on the Disc and you can install them in Windows. Note: The Boot Camp Drivers are not visible on the Disc from within Finder only from within Windows.

Other then the Boot Camp Drivers Update available from Apple for download all other Boot Camp Drivers posted anywhere on the Internet are being done so illegally and may have been tampered with so just install then from the Leopard DVD like it supposed to be done and the Boot Camp Drivers Update available from Apple only installs if the original Boot Camp Drives are previously installed and mainly needed for the Boot Camp partition install itself not necessarily for a standalone Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
vmWareAAA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I inserted the CD and in Control Panel I did Add Hardware and selected "Yes, I have already connected the hardware". On the next screen I selected "Built-in iSight" and clicked next. I then was shown Hardware update wizard. When I clicked nexe, it says can't install this hardware.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Like may USB Devices you're not supposed to connect them until the drivers have been installed and you were warned about that when you tried to connect the Apple Built-in iSight. (Although maybe the warning wasn't explicit enough.)

The "Apple Built-in iSight" device requires that you install Apple's Boot Camp driver disc in the virtual machine.

>

If you have not yet completed this step, the device may act erratically or cause the guest operating system to crash. Do you wish to continue? You may cancel now and install the driver disc, if necessary.

At that message you should have clicked the Cancel button.

So if you disconnect the Apple Built-in iSight and install the drivers normally from the DVD and then connect the Apple Built-in iSight things should work automatically after installing the drivers.

0 Kudos
vmWareAAA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx. I didn't realize that I had to install BootCamp on each VM.

0 Kudos