VMware Communities
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enabling Apple GPU just gives a black screen (Monterey 12.1 host, Monterey 12.1 guest)

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 16.15.03.png

After my old macOS VM kept failing to start and didn't work with Apple GPU either, I tried to create a new one, but it still doesn't seem to work with Apple GPU. There's no VMware or Apple logo when booting, and the screen doesn't resize to what I've set it to in the config file (1280x720). Why doesn't it work? I have used Anka before on this same Mac, where the Apple GPU support worked no problem.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Apple GPU support is a beta feature that may not have been updated for Monterey.

0 Kudos
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It has never worked even on Big Sur...

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What Mac model are you running? 

0 Kudos
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yep, it's got some issues. If you use SVGA to install the OS and tools then turn on appleGPU it should work. You might give the OS a clean reboot even after enabling any extensions before turning it on. 

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Panic-with-macOS-vms-on-boot-when-appleG...

0 Kudos
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Running MBP11,3, i7-4960HQ and 16 GB of RAM with RX 5700 XT eGPU

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I realize Trodemaster is right.  I now always switch to SVGA to do OS upgrades and then switch back to AppleGPU after the upgrade is done.

0 Kudos