VMware Communities
dmanpearl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enable Wifi in Windows in VMWare Fusion on Mac

I want to enable Wifi in Windows 8 operating system on Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) within VMWare Fusion 5 in order to support test and development of software I am writing that evaluates available Wifi access points on Windows.

I know how to enable the Windows Zero Configuration Service (ZCS) via sc config orservices.msc, but Wifi is not an available connection type.

I have tried running VMWare Fusion with various "Network Adapter Settings", including:

• Share with my Mac
  • NAT
  • Bridged (Auto detect)
  • Bridged (Wifi)

Regardless of what I do, Windows 8 tells me that there are no wireless network adapters.

How can I enable Wifi in Windows 8 in VMWare Fusion on Mac so I can scan for Wifi adapters and connect/disconnect at will?

Thanks!

- David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Regardless of what I do, Windows 8 tells me that there are no wireless network adapters.

How can I enable Wifi in Windows 8 in VMWare Fusion on Mac so I can scan for Wifi adapters and connect/disconnect at will?

VMware only presents a wired Ethernet Network Adapter to the Guest OS regardless of the Host's Network Adapter type.  If you need/want a WiFi Network Adapter in the Guest then you'll need to supply your own, like a USB WiFi Network Adapter.  The Host's built-in WiFi Network Adapter cannot/will not be seen in the Guest.

Have a look at Ethernet Card in: Virtual Hardware Specifications

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware only presents a wired Ethernet Network Adapter to the Guest OS regardless of the Host's Network Adapter type.  If you need/want a WiFi Network Adapter in the Guest then you'll need to supply your own, like a USB WiFi Network Adapter.  The Host's built-in WiFi Network Adapter cannot/will not be seen in the Guest.

Have a look at Ethernet Card in: Virtual Hardware Specifications

0 Kudos
dineshmeinwk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no Ethernet Card in the link Virtual Hardware Specifications!!!!!!! is it some kind of a joke?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This thread is 8 years old, what are you trying to achieve in terms of your software/hardware?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos