VMware Communities
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Email links won't work on Converted VM

I used the VMware converter to convert my win XP Pro VM from Parallels to VM Fusion. Now the links in emails don't work. When I put the cursor on the link, the proper link shows up, but clicking on it does nothing.

It did work before the conversion in parallels and when I boot parallels, it still does. Does anyone have any idea what happened. I have read through the Forum and haven't found a similar problem.

Just to verify the problem I deleted my first conversion and did it again. The same thing happens. All else seems to work fine, including Internet Explorer and Firefox, my default Web browser. So I don't think the problem is there.

Thanks

Message was edited by:

mnogrady

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rossf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I didn't uninstall parallel Tools. the

instruction set I got, from VMware, didn't mention

that. Can I save a copy of the VM for fusion to

another drive. I guess all it has to be is shared

with Parallels? I will try that and see if that

corrects the problem.

By the way, I can open attachments, but that is not

the same. Just more info.

Thanks,

Michael

Had the same problem - using converted Parallels VM.

This worked for me...

Select My Computer from the Start menu.

Choose Tools | Folder Options... from the menu.

Go to the File Types tab.

Highlight (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol.

Click Advanced.

Highlight open.

Click Remove.

Click Yes.

Click OK.

Now click Close.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you press alt when clicking on the link, what happens?

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried pressing the Alt button while I clicked the link. Nothing happened.

Michael

0 Kudos
shshjun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

seemed that it works in general, that is, links in your web browsers work but not in your email client.

what email software you are using? i assume it's not webmail.

i've noticed that some client requires double-click on a link in email to launch the link in web browser. this is true for eudora 6.2.4 in Mac. I am wondering whether this is the cause for you. Could you please try that?

if this still doesn't work, are you ok to re-install your email program to see how it works? normally your messages and account setting will remain intact.

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have attempted to multi-click and there is no response. I have reloaded the Email Live product and don't know how to reload Outlook Express. Web mail still works and I guess I could go to that, but maybe if there is a good free email client you or someone else could recommend.

I did have both those clients working under Parallels and it seems odd that they would fail just for me. Am I the only using Outlook Express or Microsoft Live email clients? Are others working fine and I am the only one with this problem?

0 Kudos
shshjun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

this appears to be relevant to your issue

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et_fix_links.htm

i didn't test it so...

mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried all those, and it didn't work. Thanks for the help.

I'm beginning to believe something is very corrupted in my email. I will go looking for a new email program for win xp. If that works I'll let all know.

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bad News. I downloaded and installed Thunderbird, the Mozilla email client. Same problem. Links show up but I can't click on them and open My web browser.

Also, interesting enough, when I set Firefox as the default browser, it doesn't stay default. It keeps requiring me to set it as default, even if I close and immediately reopen it after setting it as default. Maybe that gives a clue to someone.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
shshjun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i never tried parallel so i don't know, but what is your default browser in parallel VM?

i wouldn't think it's mac's safari.

another question: before u converted, did you uninstall parallel tools for the VM? i've read that parallel did some nice hacks to better integrate with osx. not sure this default browser thing falls into that category.

mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I didn't uninstall parallel Tools. the instruction set I got, from VMware, didn't mention that. Can I save a copy of the VM for fusion to another drive. I guess all it has to be is shared with Parallels? I will try that and see if that corrects the problem.

By the way, I can open attachments, but that is not the same. Just more info.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
rossf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I didn't uninstall parallel Tools. the

instruction set I got, from VMware, didn't mention

that. Can I save a copy of the VM for fusion to

another drive. I guess all it has to be is shared

with Parallels? I will try that and see if that

corrects the problem.

By the way, I can open attachments, but that is not

the same. Just more info.

Thanks,

Michael

Had the same problem - using converted Parallels VM.

This worked for me...

Select My Computer from the Start menu.

Choose Tools | Folder Options... from the menu.

Go to the File Types tab.

Highlight (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol.

Click Advanced.

Highlight open.

Click Remove.

Click Yes.

Click OK.

Now click Close.

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. It almost solved it all. I kept getting an error then so I had to add:

Go back into the (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol

Click Advanced

click New

Add Open and select your favorite Browser (Firefox) in my case to open the link

it now works all the way

I truly appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The fix above works until the system is rebooted. I have found the real culprit. It is Parallel tools. I didn't uninstall it before the conversion, and guess what? It won't uninstall after the conversion because it doesn't see it is running under parallels and errors out. I have had to disable its starting by doing msconfig and deselecting it from starting.

This instruction is missing from the "Converting a Parallels Virtual Machine to run in VMware Fusion" provided by VMware. It truly isn't intuitive to remove it before doing the conversion. It has to be done though as I suspect it contributes to other nasty little problems.

Please someone now tell me how to uninstall parallel tools. I would hate to have to redo it all again as I have been using this VM for a week or so now.

0 Kudos
rossf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep - came in this morning, started the VM and links don't work anymore...

I think you're right about Parallels Tools. There must be a way of deleting it.

0 Kudos