VMware Communities
schoonja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Editing Windows Guest .VMX- contents are not as expected

hello:

i have a windows 10 professional guest running on vmware fusion 13 on macos. according to windows' task manager the guest os only sees two logical processors and i am trying to add additional cpu processing to it. i understand that the configs (specifically the .vmx file within the guest bundle) need to be changed to include verbiage similar to this:

numvcpus = "4"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4"

i have been able to "show config file in finder" (and also copy and edit the file from within the guest bundle) and open the .vmx in macos's textedit, but the contents of the file are not what i expect. in reviewing other .vmx files within this forum i expected to see individual lines defining the guest's configuration, including cpu, etc. instead, there are only a few statements (encoding, displayname and two long sets of statements regarding encryption- encryption..keysafe & encryption.data). there are no references to cpu or other configuration items. also, after i make changes the guest will not boot.

am i editing the right file? is this config data stored somewhere else?

thanks, j

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

After seeing this, I'm wondering. Is this virtual machine encrypted? If so, was it done with Fusion 13 or an earlier version?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The file with the .vmx extension in the VM's bundle is the one that contains the info and the one that needs to be edited - after you first shut down the VM and Fusion and make a copy of the file.

Can you post the file that you're trying to edit in a .zip file so we can take a look at it?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
schoonja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

techno:

thanks for your reply.

i have shut down the guest (and alternately also fusion, too) and the .vmx is consistent. i will attach the .vmx for your inspection.

thanks, j

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

After seeing this, I'm wondering. Is this virtual machine encrypted? If so, was it done with Fusion 13 or an earlier version?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
schoonja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

techno:

excellent catch. yes, it IS encrypted, but it was made with 12.x.

thoughts?

thanks, j

0 Kudos
schoonja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

techno:

a great catch by you- thanks. after having unencrypted the guest i am able to edit the .vmx file.

thanks, j

0 Kudos