VMware Communities
mavdev2317
Contributor
Contributor

Easy install error with Windows 10 Pro - Could not create the virtual floppy image file for Easy Ins

Trying to get up a Windows 10 Pro VM up and running with the new VMWare Fusion. 

Details:

Macbook Pro

Apple M1 Max

64GB Ram

Ventura 13,0.1

2TB hard drive

Fusion 13.0.0

Error received: Easy Install preparation Failed.  Could not create the virtual floppy image file for Easy Install. If this error persists, you may need to reinstall VMware Fusion.

I'm just using the defaults so not sure how I can be messing it up.  It's a licensed version of Windows 10 Pro.  Any pointers much appreciated.  Forums and Google not turning anything up.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should read section 12 of this document: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Oh, and as your post needs moving to the area for Fusion, I have reported it to the volunteer moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Doesn't matter that you're using a licensed version of Windows 10... the issue is you are attempting to run an OS designed for Intel x86 chips on an Apple ARM chip.  It will never work.  Refer to the official user guide as well as Technogeezer's very thorough unofficial guide for details of what WILL work.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The Companion guide linked to by @scott28tt will also tell you to use Windows 11 ARM on Apple Silicon Macs, not Windows 10. Heed that advice, as there are people that have tried and failed to get Windows 10 ARM working. 

The Companion guide will tell you how to get Windows 11 ARM installation media (Microsoft does not make Windows 11 ARM installation media easy to find, so the document tells you what to do) and how to create the VM on Fusion 13 on your M1 Mac. Your existing Windows 10 Pro license should be able to be used to activate the Windows 11 Pro installation. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides