VMware Communities
hassiman
Contributor
Contributor

Easy install Fusion on Tiger..not so much HELLLLLP!

This is actually not an accurate statement.. as VM Fusion seems to have installed without a problem on my MacPro running the latest version of Tiger. The fun started when I tried to create a VM and install WinXP.

I used the :EASY" install method and bumped the VM disk size to 30GB and gave read only access to my OSX HOME folder (good or bad idea?) Then I entered the Win XP Pro password and went to continue... I then inserted the Win XP CD into my drive and waited until it showed up on my desktop. A DOS window appeared and after a bit it failed saying PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM Operating system not found.

I had chosen to load from CD but I tried again with the disk-image setting and that didn't find anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Seems anytime I have to deal with WinDoze things get screwed up 8-)

0 Kudos
22 Replies
hassiman
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Pat,

Tried your solution and no dice.

Here is the image of the install results..

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If your are having issues installing from physical media then I'd suggest you try installing from an ISO Image of the Source Media.

Note: When using Disk Utility in order to have a bootable ISO Image you should select CD/DVD Master with no encryption in which case by default it will have a .cdr file extension and in version 1.1 of Fusion and later does not need to be changed to .iso although one can if one chooses to. A default .dmg image is compressed and is not bootable although an uncompressed .dmg will boot if changed to .iso and of course the source CD/DVD must be bootable in the first place.

To create an ISO Image using Disk Utility...

1. Insert the CD or DVD disc in your computer's optical drive.

2. Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility).

3. Select the CD or DVD disc in the list of disks and volumes.

4. Choose File > New > "Disk Image from (Name of Disc)."

5. Type a name for the disk image.

6. Choose "DVD/CD master" from the Image Format pop-up menu.

7. Choose "none" from the Encryption pop-up menu.

8. Click Save.

After you have made the ISO Image then eject the source disc from the optical drive.

Next assign the ISO Image as the CD/DVD in the Virtual Machine's Settings sheet.

Boot the Virtual Machine and if need be select CD/DVD from the Boot Menu by pressing Esc after clicking into theVirtual Machine's window.

0 Kudos
Yaztromo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you see the image of the install error? It seems as though Fusion is not detecting the CD/DVD drive on my MacPro and is trying to start with a network boot.

As a simple diagnostic test, can you verify that the XP disc in question does indeed boot on a real PC? If the boot information on the disc is damaged for any reason, Fusion won't be able to boot it, and will go for the next boot device in the sequence (which is to do a network boot, which is what you're seeing, and which fails due to a lack of a boot server on your network).

(FWIW, I've done a number of OS installs on Fusion, including several OS's which are not officially supported (like OS/2 and BeOS), and have never seen the problem you describe).

Yaz.

0 Kudos