VMware Communities
AlfUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Easiest way to install a lot of 32-bit apps into a Mac Mojave Virtual Machine (before upgrading to Catalina)

Remarkably, I was able to make a Mojave macOS virtual machine (VM) using VMware Fusion 11.5.3. I followed the instructions on https://www.huibdijkstra.nl/how-to-set-up-a-osx-mojave-vm-in-vmware-fusion/ , but didn’t make a DVD installer but rather a USB installer for Mojave. After making the VM with name “macOS 10.14” and with VM started, I went to USB setting and chose to mount USB installer, but nothing happened so I restarted VM and installer kicked in on restart. I did this running the latest version of Mojave (10.14.6) on my Mac and Mojave Installer (14.6.06). I have quite a few 32-bit apps so I was wondering if there is a way to somehow clone my current OS hard disk into this VM? I suppose I could try using Migration Manager. Using file “Connect to server”, I was able to mount my Time Machine volume (or my current OS hard disk). Is this workable or would it be better to just reinstall apps one at a time?

I would like to make sure this VM is working ok BEFORE upgrading to Catalina, since 32-bits applications won't work on Catalina.

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The migration assistant would be the best way, but it works much better if done during the initial install.  The process would be something like this:

1) Clone your computer to an external drive (using something like Carbon Copy Cloner), or make a time machine backup to a USB drive

2) Create a new virtual machine

3) when prompted, plug in the external USB cloned/TM drive, and choose 'migrate from another mac'

Trying to run it after the os was installed can cause permission issues.

Keep in mind that mac software that requires graphics acceleration won't function properly in a virtual machine (there's no 3d acceleration available), so testing is definitely recommended.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The migration assistant would be the best way, but it works much better if done during the initial install.  The process would be something like this:

1) Clone your computer to an external drive (using something like Carbon Copy Cloner), or make a time machine backup to a USB drive

2) Create a new virtual machine

3) when prompted, plug in the external USB cloned/TM drive, and choose 'migrate from another mac'

Trying to run it after the os was installed can cause permission issues.

Keep in mind that mac software that requires graphics acceleration won't function properly in a virtual machine (there's no 3d acceleration available), so testing is definitely recommended.

0 Kudos