VMware Communities
bblencowe
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ESXi 4.1 install stalls

I've been attempting to provision an ESXi 4.1 VM with Fusion 3.1.1. After accepting the license agreement the install of ESXi appears to stall and I see a warning about Syslog not configured. A search on the Internet suggested checking the md5 checksum which I did, so it appears the ISO download is good. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

“Choosing right over wrong, ethics over convenience, and truth over popularity…these are the choices that measure your life. Travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing.”
0 Kudos
9 Replies
WiEmWaerUser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have the same problem (exactly the same red warning message) on a fresh installed HP ProLiant ML350 G6 (Raid 5)

After using the ESX4i "583772-005.iso" file from HP, we have a matching MD5 64f54da329a2348307f700fa41c91eb9 as found in the HP Software Depot.

Any ideas to solve this problem are welcome.

BTW: This red line appears installing from CD or USB-Stick as well.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi WiEmWaerUser,

Since you are getting this issue on a Physical server i would sugget you open a new thread in the ESXi section of the forums.

You should also hit Alt + F1 to drop to the console and collect the install.log form /var/log and post it for more help.

If you have a support agreement you should also open a support request on this issue.

0 Kudos
WiEmWaerUser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Uups, sorry for hi-jacking this topic!

I'll act on your advice.

0 Kudos
Edificom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We are seeing the same eror exactly, trying to install ESXi 4.1 onto Fusion 3.1.1.

We also see this if we try to install as a VM onESX 4.0.

Anyone found a way around this?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Currently I don't have access to my MAC Book so I will check for a way to install the ESXi 4.1 directly on Fusion 3.0 and trying to post the answer (if I find any) here but as I remember I didn't get any warning during installation of ESXi 4.1 on Fusion 3.1. (link)

But before that, may I suggest testing some other way to install VMware ESXi 4.1 on the VMware Fusion 3.1.

As far as I know and I remember it's possible to install VMware ESXi 4.0 (w/o u1) on the Fusion 3 by creating new "Linux Red Hat 5 (64-bit)" VM with having 2 processor and at least 4 GB memory.

After installing the VMware ESXi 4.0 on the VMware Fusion the guest system can be updated (ESXi 4.0 ---> ESXi 4.1) using the update file which is accessible from same page which ESXi 4.1 downloaded. (link)

I think this may help, if the goal is "running ESXi 4.1 on Fusion 3.1".

-

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

Sohrab Kasraeian Fard

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know and I remember it's possible to install VMware ESXi 4.0 (w/o u1) on the Fusion 3 by creating new "Linux Red Hat 5 (64-bit)" VM

I would just use the VMware ESX/ESX Server 4 guest type. FWIW I haven't run into problems any time I've tried installing it (maybe 2 or 3 times). I was using VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0-260247.x86_64.iso

0 Kudos
Edificom
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all, Etung, that is the same exact version I am trying. Very strange.

I will try another Mac i guess...

Not sure why it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

maybe the vmx-file is not good for whatever reasons - we can check it if you post it

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
darrylbowler201
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar problem with installing ESXi on Fusion.

Turns out that I had to send F11 from the Vmware console rather that using the sequence on the keyboard - strange Smiley Happy

0 Kudos