VMware Communities
wsirota
Contributor
Contributor

Dumb question about configuring Bridged connections

Hi,

Please excuse me if this is dumb, but the white paper on configuring a Bridged connection is a bit over my head. I need some specific and simple instructions.

I'm using a MacBook with Fusion and a basic XP Pro installation. My MacBook connects to the Internet via the built-in wireless connection, going to a router at 192.168.2.1. When I set Network to NAT in the VM, I can browse the Internet and get email into Outlook. Excellent. But I can't browse my workgroup computers - if I put
MyDesktopComputer (name changed to protect the innocent) into the address bar, it just times out. When I switch to OSX I can browse the workgroup.

I've tried changing My Computer's workgroup from the default WORKGROUP to the name of my local workgroup, but that doesn't help.

I was guessing that changing the network to Bridged from NAT might help, but that just shuts off \*all* connectivity from the VM. I'm not doing anything to configure the bridged connection, either in XP or OSX, because I don't know what's required.

My particular interest is in being able to use Remote Desktop Connection from the VM to take over the desktop computer so I can run it from wherever I have the MacBook. Can anyone give me relatively simple instructions on how to do this (if indeed it is possible)?

Many thanks,

Warren

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Deryni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That would depend on what's giving out addresses on your real LAN. When you're using Bridged mode networking, the VM looks like it is another computer sitting right next to your host computer. The VM will need to obtain it's own IP address much like your host computer.

0 Kudos
wsirota
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the inspiration - I set the DNS and DHCP addresses for the connection manually (instead of automatic, which wasn't working) in the VM and changed it to Bridged, and I can now do all I need to. Awesome!

0 Kudos