VMware Communities
onagnan
Contributor
Contributor

Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.5

Installed on system, gave it half my memory 2GB and it works fair, slow from speech to showing on screen Looking for some answers! Looking for some one who has experience with using the program, This program enables me to work and communicate in a ledge-able manor

Thank you for you time and any information

Tom

0 Kudos
16 Replies
alaz
Contributor
Contributor

is this mac or pc?

Alaz

MacbookPro 10.5.2, 2.4Ghz, Intel core 2 duo, 4Gb Ram

Alaz MacbookPro 10.5.2, 2.4Ghz, Intel core 2 duo, 4Gb Ram
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

is this mac or pc?

This Forum is for VMware Fusion which is a Mac product and Dragon Naturally Speaking is a Windows only product so the OP is obviously running a Windows Virtual Machine with Dragon Naturally Speaking under Fusion on a Mac. It's not that hard to figure out! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
alaz
Contributor
Contributor

I guess your right the mac version of dragon speaking does have a different name

Alaz

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I guess your right the mac version of dragon speaking does have a different name

The Mac version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking does not have a different name because there is no Mac version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking as I said earlier it was a Windows only product and while at the present time Dragon NaturallySpeaking and a competing product IBM ViaVoice are owned by Nuance Communications, Inc. these are two different products developed by different companies at different times and IBM ViaVoice has both Windows and Mac version.

0 Kudos
alaz
Contributor
Contributor

sorry WoodyZ for setting me right on this - so what is macspeech Dictate? Do you habe any info on this?

Alaz

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

so what is macspeech Dictate?

MacSpeech Dictate is yet another separate and competing Voice Recognition Software from MacSpeech, Inc. with no relation to the previously mentioned products.

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, MacSpeech Dictate has licensed the dragon speech-to-text engine from Nuance, so it is not totally unrelated. However, Dictate is still only 3/4 baked. It's transcription accuracy is superb, but it does not yet have a mechanism for correcting mistranscribed words or phrases. It also plays some havoc with the clipboard so that switching between typing and dictating can cause a mess--insertion point changes, incorrect cut and paste functions, etc..

But it does launch and switch among programs, take accurate dictation, and allows adding custom vocabulary. I'm hoping that the next update will fix the above problems and then I'll use it full time. Now I use it only rarely and stick with DNS9.5 in xp32 under Fusion if I want to get real work done.

(MBP 10.5.3 fusion 2.0B1)

teleradiology
Contributor
Contributor

Do any of these applications have medical vocabulary packages available? I have been relegated to using Via Voice on a G5 with Med Vocab for years. Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Actually, MacSpeech Dictate has licensed the dragon speech-to-text engine from Nuance, so it is not totally unrelated.

The relation to the aforementioned products was strictly contextual by manufacture and product line in that there is not a Mac version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking!

Many companies license another companies technologies however MacSpeech, Inc. licensing of a technology used in Nuance's Dragon NaturallySpeaking for use in MacSpeech Dictate doesn't make MacSpeech Dictate the Mac version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Also according to MacSpeech, Inc. their new MacSpeech Dictate is "Written from the ground up for the Mac" so it remains to be seen that they are still using a previous and or current licensed technology belonging to Nuance. Also keep in mind that without comparing the source code one can't be sure however it's a fairly standard practice that a company does not leases or disclose the exact same version of a given technology being used by the licensor to the licensee.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Do any of these applications have medical vocabulary packages available?

And you can't just search their web site why? http://www.nuance.com/dictaphone/products/naturallyspeaking/

0 Kudos
onagnan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for you response

It is a Mac and running in a program called VMWARE FUSION enables window to run on Mac

I have Fusion installed with XP Professional

Thom

0 Kudos
onagnan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for you response

It is a Mac and running in a program called VMWARE FUSION enables window to run on Mac

I have Fusion installed with XP Professional than installed Dragon 9.5

Thom

0 Kudos
onagnan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer

I do understand this forum is for and did not think of making it clearer

I have XP installed and than Dragon 9.5 and it may be easy for you, but its not easy for me, thats why I am asking the questions, for help in setting up, its also very important for me at you can tell my writhing is full of all kinds of mistakes

Thank you and any information will be helpful

Thom

0 Kudos
onagnan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You for your reply

I did not know there is a version or a quality program available for MAC< I will look for it.

Thank you

Thom

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WoodyZ wrote licensing ..."MacSpeech Dictate doesn't make MacSpeech Dictate the Mac version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking...."

Of course WoodyZ is correct. MacSpeech and Nuance are different companies, the two programs are distinct, and there is no Mac version of DNS.

That said, the core of both programs is the speech-to-text engine, and in this case the DNS engine was licensed to MacSpeech. If you check the macspeech web site, you'll find that although their program is "Written from the ground up for the Mac", it also claims "New Speech Recognition Product, Based on Nuance’s Dragon

NaturallySpeaking Technology is All-Mac, Highly Accurate and Easy to

Use". And "SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., January 15, 2008 - Macworld Conference and Expo 2008,

Booth #607 – MacSpeech, Inc., the leading provider of speech recognition

solutions for the Mand ac, and Nuance Communications (Nasdaq: NUAN), developers of

Dragon® NaturallySpeaking®, today announced an agreement to bring the world's

best speech recognition solution to Mac users worldwide.MacSpeech, Inc. has licensed underlying dictation technology from Nuance

Communications, Inc. for its new MacSpeech Dictate™ product...."

So the core technology is identical.

The point (and good news) is that VMware runs DNS 9.5 pro perfectly in windows xp (and in xp-64 with some hacking), and that Dictate also works with the limits I've described before.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

One user's experience with Fusion and Dragon Naturally Speaking (plus discussion amongst several users):

One important question you didn't answer was what you're doing in the host (and guest) - if it's a lot, then 1 GB for each may not be enough. Without knowing anything about your setup, my initial reaction would be that adding more RAM to your Mac might help performance.

0 Kudos